Atonement

Smoke rose from the chimney of the house on the hill. That was Astrid's indication that someone was awake. She made the trek up the hill and snuck in through the door.

Her eyes darted around. "Jambo, Mwaba." She smiled when she saw the giant.

"Oh, Jambo, Astreed." He smiled, from his place brewing tea.

"Is Hiccup still sleeping?" Last night, after he had woken up, Goði told them in her silent ways to get lost, so they brought him back to his home.

Mwaba smirked at her, then shook his head. "He be asleep all mo'ning." Then he pointed over to Toothless who was curled up tightly, his wings wrapped around him.

"He's not..." Astrid giggled and peered over the dragon. The only indication that there was someone else there, was a bit of blanket sticking out from under the beast.

Then, from the bundle, she heard Hiccup's voice. "I am up Astrid, I just can't move."

In protest, Toothless pulled him closer. Astrid heard Hiccup groan. "Bud, injured, careful!" He pushed and prodded, "I have to get up, you oaf!" Finally got his head to pop out, his hair sticking up in every direction. "Good morning, Milady." He said with a yawn.

"A little overprotective, he is?" She quirked an eyebrow.

"He's scared that someone will come in while I'm sleeping." Some more shuffling and twisting, and Hiccup got an arm out. At the movement, Toothless finally got up and looked at his human. "Well, good morning Mr. Bossy."

In response, Toothless licked him sloppily across the face, and then everywhere else he could, possibly to bathe him.

"UGH! Toothless! Knock it off!"

The dragon, in fact, did not relent until he was satisfied. Unfortunately, it was when Hiccup was thoroughly saturated in dragon spit, and his hair stuck up straight, reminiscent of a deranged pineapple.

Astrid held in what would be uproars laughter, her face bright red. "I'm so glad Stormfly doesn't do that to me."

"Yeah, well..." He stood up, using the annoying beast as support, and attempted to wipe off the persistent slime. "It could be worse. Nightfury saliva has amazing healing properties. I guess he's just trying to help." He ruffled his hair.

"Come and sit down scruffy, you could use some help."

He knew what she meant as he rubbed his chin and felt the thin beard that had gone rampant in his coma. He balanced on his good foot, seeing his prosthetic leaning by the fire. He groaned and hopped on one leg until he could reach it. Astrid watched in amazement as he snatched up the metal contraption and collapsed next to her. He rolled up his pant leg to show his stump. From the prosthetic, he took a white wrap and did up his leg with practiced fingers. Then he stuck on the leg.

The design was much different from his old one, as it resembled a real leg. The foot was carved wood, a block shaped to look like a foot, and fit into a boot. The ankle was made up of gears, allowing for mobility. The calf was made up of strips of iron, forming a cage that ended with the socket. Finally, the socket was covered in leather, which came up above the end of the prosthetic, and tied like a shoe. Once he tied it on, he notice Astrid was looking at it in morbid curiosity.

"I made a new one. Cool, huh?" He lifted it a bit. "Not knocking on Gobber's work, but since I've had it for so long, I knew what style of leg would work best." He stood and shifted his weight, showing her how the gears responded to the changed of direction. It worked like a real ankle.

She watched amazed, but only a moment before she rolled her eyes and huffed. "Show off."

Regardless, he took a seat by the fire and allowed her to run a comb through his hair, slicking it back.