Chapter 3

Cobb cursed his luck and kicked the ribs of the fallen horse. It had run itself out after carrying two men so long and so fast. He looked back to see the light cloud of dust and knew it was a posse from the prison. He looked at the horse and swore, there was no place to go and he was darned sure he wasn't going back to prison. He took the rifle he had taken from the guard and lay down behind the fallen horse.

"You're gonna be good for somethin' anyway, you miserable nag."

Cobb watched the riders approach and he could see Jarvis in the lead. Carefully he sighted the rifle and waited patiently for the distance to close.

Jarvis held up a hand and the posse pulled to a halt behind him. A cloud of dust hid them for a moment and Cobb lost sight of his target. When the dust cleared, only the horses were still there; the men had dismounted and spread out. He strained to see but the small rocks and scrub were all he could make out. The first shot hit the horse and it bucked, knocking Cobb to the side. When he righted himself, another shot clipped his ear and he dropped the rifle, grabbing at the bloody organ. In a matter of seconds he was staring up at the barrels of a dozen guns and the sneering face of Marshal Jarvis.

Cobb shrank back as Jarvis drew his gun and aimed. The shot resounded inside his head as he felt the horse buck one last time.

"Seems like you make a habit of this, Cobb." Jarvis signaled the men to get him to his feet.

******

John had climbed higher in the rocks, close enough to make out the individual figures. He heard the shooting and he saw the posse gather all around the fallen horse then he saw one man shoot again and he assumed it was to put the animal out of its misery. Next he watched as Cobb was dragged to his feet and the men seemed to be tying his feet together then , holding the ropes, mounted two horses and pulled until Cobb fell to the ground on his back. They were going to drag him. One man, the leader John assumed, walked over to Cobb and two other men held out his arms. The sound of two shots and a faint scream echoed through the rocks. He shot him in both hands so he couldn't grab the rope.

The posse all mounted up and Cobb's body bounced unmercifully over the rough ground as they kicked their horses to a gallop. John felt sick as he watched. That could easily have been him as well. He crouched down and stayed that way until twilight then he began the long trek on foot back to Mountain Trail.

******

John, now with a full dark beard and moustache, had to convince the bank manager and his wife who he was and when they were finally convinced he was welcomed with open arms.

"John, the town wrote letters to the Governor pleading your case and the circumstances but they were just ignored. Jarvis held sway and that was that."

John decided not to tell them he had escaped prison, it would only complicate his request to have his account closed and the money delivered to him as quickly as possible.

"What news of Constance?"

"Nothing good, John. The Thorntons have treated her poorly since there was no money for her upkeep. Again, my wife and several of the other ladies tried to acquire custody but they demanded ridiculous sums of money and the efforts failed."

"That's why I want my account closed. I intend to get Constance away from them."

'You shall have your money first thing tomorrow, John. Meanwhile, you can eat and sleep here, even shave if you like."

"The beard stays until I've made a deal. Thorntons know me."

"Of course. Well, come to the kitchen and we'll rustle up something for you to eat."

******

The first thing he did, since they didn't know him with his bearded face, was to use his real name again, then make a deal with the Thorntons to buy Constance. Their greed cost him plenty but he was determined to save her and as soon as possible, he made train travel arrangements and they left Mountain Trail.

With no destination in mind other than anywhere a good distance away, Valentine resorted to his earlier experience and found accommodation for them on a small ranch where he handled the livestock. Constance, now a blossoming twelve year old, worked in the ranch kitchen and they shared a small room behind the wrangler's bunkhouse. Valentine spent a lot of their private time together schooling Constance, teaching her to read and write and to put behind her, the abusive treatment she had received from the Thornton's and their daughters.

When one of the ranch hands mentioned a Marshal in town asking about a man and a young girl, Valentine immediately packed their belongings and fled once again. He presumed the Thorntons had told Jarvis about the man who bought Constance and Jarvis immediately suspected the escaped prisoner, Valentine.

For a second time, John sought refuge in a church, finding another sympathetic reverend willing to accept them into his home. Things went well for the fugitives, Constance was enrolled in school and John worked around the church as handy man and gardener.

******

Martin Palmerston, living in a politically fractious family where his father and grandfather are almost violently opposed, tired of the situation and moved out. He took up residence in a small hotel in town shared by a bunch of wild young cowboys fresh off a very long cattle drive. Their nights were filled with carousing, drinking, and generally causing a huge nuisance to the locals.

Exiting the saloon one evening, Martin caught sight of a young woman leaving the dry goods store and in a short period of time, had sated his romantic urge and the two became very close. When John learned of the alliance he scolded Constance, warning her that they had successfully begun a new life but any attention they drew could lead to Jarvis discovering them. Constance cried, complaining again about the restrictions on her life. John became distraught but insisted she not see the young man again. Stubbornly, she continued meeting Martin and they grew much closer.

******

When the cattle drive had ended and the men took their pay and departed, there was an objection raised by the local farmers over the cattle being allowed to free range over their properties. The cattlemen ignored the complaints, dismissing the farmers as nothing more than a nuisance. When it became to much to bear, some of the locals began slaughtering cattle that trespassed and very soon a war began. The young cowboys that had been on the drive jumped at the opportunity for action, and having lived among and befriended many of the locals, joined the ranchers.

Martin was coaxed into taking part, against the wishes of Constance, and discovering that she and Valentine were planning on leaving he declared his intensions and rode off with his friends to battle the cattlemen. Valentine saw how it affected his ward and he was torn between their safety and her long deserved happiness. When the cattlemen began hiring gunfighters to defeat the ranchers, the battle turned and it became a last stand for the ranchers. At the farm, where the owner's building could provide the best defense, the stand took place.

Desperate to do right by Constance, Valentine made a dangerous ride to the ranch, fighting through the cattlemen's army, to convince Martin to return with him. When he arrived, he was shocked to see the damage the ranchers had suffered. Only a handful of men were still able to fight and when he found Martin, he was devastated to see he had been wounded. He tried to tell Martin why he was there and what he planned, but Martin was too groggy and fell unconscious, offering no help or resistance.

There was a shout of defiance and fear as the few survivors prepared to repel a new, larger attack. Valentine dragged Martin to his horse and threw him over the back then led the horse out into a small draw behind the building. When he felt he was far enough away, he mounted and rode swiftly away from the fight.

Instead of taking Martin to his home, he took him to his grandfather's and explained the entire story of the two lovers. Martin's grandfather had a doctor come and treat Martin and told Valentine that if he was agreeable, he would give permission for a marriage and that He would never have to worry about hiss ward again, she would be well cared for by both himself and Martin. John agreed and left to tell Constance the news about what he had done. Before leaving John pleaded with the grandfather not to tell Martin who saved him and they shook hands on his request.