Chapter 1

John Valentine stepped into the unrestricted space outside Crowloft Prison and stood with his eyes closed, breathing in the air of freedom. After twelve years inside for his part in a stagecoach robbery, it was time to begin anew. With just the clothes he had arrived in and a few dollars, compliments of the government, he waited for the prison wagon to take him and three other men just released, into the town of Digby. The ride was slow and dusty and the men just sat in silence, each contemplating their own circumstance. When the wagon finally entered the town and stopped in front of the sheriff's office, the driver told them all to get out and check in with the law before going anywhere. They were free only according to the calendar.

John climbed the few steps to the office door, turning to see if the others were coming... only one did.

"They not coming?" John asked.

"Don't look like it. Their business, not mine." The man pushed the door open and stepped inside. John followed.

"You the boys from Crowloft?" The voice was raspy rough and it came out of a large, pot-bellied man with grey whiskers and eyes so pale a blue they were almost white.

"John Valentine. Yeah, we just got in."

The sheriff looked at the other man. "What about you?"

"Cobb. Howard Cobb."

"Supposed to be four of you. Where's the others?"

"No idea. They just left." John said.

"Just left huh." The sheriff hitched his gun belt and strolled over to the window. He squinted through the dirty panes and cursed under his breath. "Okay, you two. The government gave you some startin' out money. Don't be drinkin' it away across the street. Git yourselves a good bath and a shave and have a solid meal. That'll be your best bet to find any kind of work, which you will need... soon as possible."

"Think I could get a decent horse for cheap anywhere?" John asked.

"You got someplace to go?"

"Yeah, as far away from here as I can."

"Try the livery. What about you?" He asked Cobb.

"I'm goin' to get a drink." The reply and look were both surly.

"Why do we bother." The sheriff turned his back, fluffing them both out with a wave of his hand.

******

The day was not even finished before Cobb and the other two ex prisoners held up the dry goods store and shot the clerk. Cobb and one other escaped on stolen horses and the third ended his freedom face down in the street with several bullets in his body. Immediately, John was shunned by the townspeople. Guilt by association was the verdict and he was warned off and told to get out of the town. The sheriff just shrugged and ignored him. After twelve years in prison, knowing no one and having very little money, John went into the town's church and begged the minister for help.

"I'm afraid there is little I can do, my son. I have no work here and the church is poor as it is. The people in Digby are mostly good but I can't tell them what to do, I tell them what they should do once each week; it's the best I can offer." Reverend Morrel, looked apologetic.

"It's not fair. I served my time for my mistake. What am I supposed to do without any help?"

"You can stay here for as long as you need. I have a small room beside the rectory. I can offer you food, it's the one thing with which the Lord has blessed this church. I have quite a vegetable garden out back."

"Thanks. I really appreciate your offer. I just don't know what to do."

"Have faith son, the Lord minds all his flock."