Chapter 38: Reset

Start from the beginning

"That's what I'm talking about!" exclaimed Alfie, coming up to me and putting an arm around my neck in a headlock.

"We didn't win yet."

We were now on the lead, but not by many points.

"Whatever," he snorted. "We're the dynamic duo! We're fucking unstoppable, dude."

I would've laughed if it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't get Halo out of my head. Why didn't she come? How was she doing? Did she hole up in her room with the moon lamp named Bellamy?

Alfie sighed beside me. "Too bad Frisco isn't here."

I looked at him, and saw the genuine sadness there.

"Yeah," I breathed out. "We have to win this game for him."

He flashed me a grin. "Hell yeah."

We followed our team to the locker room and had to endure Coach Watkin's speech about listening to instructions and shit. All the while, I kept glancing at my phone.

No texts. No calls. No nothing.

I rubbed my face with a hand and let out a breath. I had to give her some time to cool off. I had to give her some space to think things through. But I wasn't sure I could last long not knowing how she was doing.

Fuck, this is so messed up.

I wouldn't give up, though. Not on her. Not on us.

My mind suddenly drifted off to that night at the parking lot with Snow. She was about to leave then. But I was curious about something.

"I never asked you," I called after her, right before we parted ways. "Why did you give me a chance? What made you decide that I was worth all the trouble?"

"The truth?" she asked, looking over her shoulder to me. "I wanted to change you. I knew there was something good in you that needed saving. But then I fell in love with you, something I didn't expect to happen so soon. It only strengthened my resolve."

"But I didn't change." My eyes narrowed. "If anything, I became worse."

She smiled sadly and shrugged. "I guess it means I'm not the right one for the job."

The corner of my lips turned up in realization.

"Halo."

Snow nodded, turning around to face me. "Honestly, she's the one who brings out the best in you." Her expression was sad, but there were also senses of peace and acceptance. "I could see it, how you slowly changed without you realizing it."

Pak!

I was brought back to the present when somebody smacked my shoulder. I looked up and saw Kurt looking at me weird.

"You okay, man?"

"Yeah."

He looked skeptical. "It's second half."

I looked around the room, they were already filing out. Alfie and Kurt were the only ones who noticed that I was out of it and stayed behind. I quickly got to my feet and grabbed my helmet. I was about to head out when Alfie blocked my path.

"Brooklyn's waiting outside."

My head whipped to him.

"It doesn't look good," he added seriously.

I frowned at that, before walking out with him and Kurt following behind me. I caught sight of Brooklyn by the end of the tunnel near the bleachers.