2 || Iris

It only takes what feels like seconds to get up that ladder.

Axel's last words are ringing through my head. "Make a run for it! It's only a matter of time before they break down this door!" He had yelled.

Just as we are getting out of the back room, the door that Axel had closed falls down, and around 10 people come out quickly. They start coming toward us, and I run.

I bump into shelves and step over several video game cases, but I continue to run. I don't look back. My heart is beating faster and faster.

I hear someone cry out in pain, I turn around to see Laura on the ground.

"Continue running!" Anton yells.

I run through the now shattered glass door. What happened to it? I wonder.

I have not been more afraid in my life. I never would have thought that I would be chased by humans who seem to want to bite others.

"Go to the parking lot across the street! We can get in my car! It's the red one!" Anton yells.

I run across the deserted street, afraid that a car will come out of no where but none does.

I run to the only red car in the lot, and I wait only a few seconds before Anton pulls out keys and unlocks the car.

"Quickly! Get in the back!" Anton yells.

Kyra and I quickly scramble into the dark gray seats in the back, not even bothering to put the dark gray seat belts on. It is only a matter of seconds before Anton has ignited the car and started to drive.

I look outside at the clouds to see that it looks like it could rain any minute now. I look at the clock in Anton's car to see that it is 17 o'clock now.

"I would buckle up, I might be driving rough," Anton tells us, as he drives over the strike walk to get onto the road.

"What happened to Laura?" I ask.

"She got bit. She's gone now," Kyra answers my question.

"Really? I wonder what has gotten into those humans," I inquire.

"They're zombies," Anton replies after he has stopped driving so recklessly and we have lost who was chasing us.

"We can't be entirely sure that it's zombies, but it would be the most logical explanation," says Kyra.

"I'm sure it's not that..." I try to reassure myself in a whisper.

"But what if it is? You shouldn't try to be in a state of denial."

"Is there anywhere either of you would want to go?" Anton asks.

"Home," I reply.

"Not really. I've never been much into getting to attached to a place," Kyra replies.

"I see. Where is your house then, Iris?"

I tell him my address.

"I don't understand why you would want to go back home. It's not like everything will be better if you go there," says Kyra.