Chapter 9

Fen'Harel had a purpose at last. For so long he had wandered the land without any true meaning, but now.. Rihari changed everything. She made him see things differently. She made him feel differently and better. That was the word, she made him feel better.

All these thoughts cascaded through his mind as he got dressed, and as he strode through the halls of his castle. He even smiled at a serving girl as she offered him breakfast. It clearly made her feel shaken, because she turned her eyes away from him. He didn't take offense to it and politely declined. He had alot to do, anyways.

Fen'Harel made it to Mythal's Temple in record time, even with his bruised and tender muscles. Once inside the temple he was greeted by a young elf warrior with the brown branches of Mythal across his forehead.

The man bowed his head slightly. "Andaran atish'an, Fen'Harel."

"Ma serannas." Fen'Harel offered a smile that didnt go unnoticed. Though the man tried to hide it, his eyes squinted lightly. "I come to meet with Mythal. Is she here?"

"Yes." The man nodded. "Follow me, please." The servant turned away, and Fen'Harel struggled to keep up on his sore legs. The battle with the evil spirit, and then with June left him feeling sore and weak.

The man led him up a series of stairwells, that were all to hard to through a small altar room with nods to all of the other Evanuris, himself included. Finally, the man brought him to a garden where Mythal sat peacefully. She looked so serene and at home here.

The birds chirped happily, declaring their joy to the bright blue sky. Now that he realized it, it was a perfect day. Suddenly he found himself thinking of Rihari in the sun. Dancing in the sun, her bare feet stepping carefully around with the graceful movements he had seen the night before. He imagined them falling asleep under the trees, on the soft, plush grass. The cloudless blue sky would seep through the blinding green leaves of the trees, casting blotches of flickering sunlight across them, warming their faces ever so lightly. He lingered a moment imagining it all with his eyes closed. The moment lasted only the time it took to inhale a deep breath.

He strode over to meet Mythal and she stood when she saw him approaching. She granted her servant a farewell and he took his leave. She motioned for him to sit on the marble bench that she had perched on moments before.

"What you did last night, did not offend me." Mythal said softly. Her voice mixed with the bird song in perfect harmony, somehow making her seem even more serene. "But some of the others are outraged by your actions." She looked at him sadly. "June has declared you a traitor. He says that you would rather lay with peasants than drink with Gods."

"He had no right-"

"Oh, Dread Wolf." She looked away, a sad smile on her lips. He followed her gaze over to a small orange and black butterfly that perched carefully on the edge of a bright pink flower. They watched it a beat in silence before she spoke again. "It is a mess.. but I must ask, do you care for this girl?"

"Yes." He knew he did, he had confessed his love with her, but somehow that had seemed different. With her everything was bright and fuzzy, it was like being in a different reality.

She nodded meaningfully. "She came after June last night, ready for battle. I stopped her, told her there would be a time, but this was not it." Mythal turned her motherly gaze on him. "She wanted revenge. For you."

He considered this new information. It seemed ridiculous. She was completely mortal, she wasn't even from this time. She wasn't even a mage, and she would stand against June. Madness. His heart squeezed at the thought, however. What if she had succeeded in reaching June? She would be dead now.