Chapter 9

"You didn't even get to kiss her?!" Harry exclaimed, in fits of laughter.

"What happened to you, mate?" Zayn teased while turning red as he tried to stop laughing loudly.

I sighed, sitting back in my seat. "I know! You don't have to point it out, guys. Thanks a lot."

The two of them fist bumped each other as they continued to tease and laugh at me.

I sat in the teachers' lounge with my two best mates, as I share them what happened last night with Eleanor. I know there was something going on between us, but I couldn't lay my finger on how she was able to resist a kiss from hers truly.

"You're losing your charm, Lou!" Harry yelled again, the idea of being in the teachers' lounge probably still hasn't entered his tiny brain.

"I get it, Haz." I spoke coldly. "Tone down, in case you forgot, we're in the teachers' lounge."

"Oops.." He uttered, his hands jerking to cover his mouth, but that didn't stop the laughter leaving both of the lads' lips. "Sorry, boo. You seem cranky?"

"How wouldn't he?" Zayn answered before I could even contemplate his sentence, yet I'm irritatingly grateful. I wouldn't answer Harry anyway, other than with a roll of my eyes.

The two lads continued to put my life to shame as they laughed at my inconvenience. At some point, Harry literally was called to shut up by the history teacher who spends his break hours sleeping in the faculty room. I probably should have followed his sleeping schedule instead of speaking to these blokes, now that I think about it. Harry apologized just before he got up and left since he got a text from someone he didn't dare to share. Not that he should share, of course. Oh well, I'm sure it was something really necessary.

Zayn and I ended up talking for a while longer before parting for our next class. He was about to say something before hesitating, so he just decided to come with me for the practice I had with my drama club that late afternoon.

"Hey mate, 'ave ya started?" he asked during club hours, nudging my shoulder before he sat beside me.

"Eh, just in time." I answered. After all, they're all just preparing rather slowly. Liam caught my eye as he carried a box of props across the stage and to the students assigned for prop-making. "Oh, Zaynie, look!" Yes, I bothered to show him.

The best mate of mine who smelled a lot like cigarettes right now more than a while ago followed my gaze as he looked past the stage. I knew blonde girls were his type, but I guess I've influenced him to appreciate some brunet guys, if you know what I mean.

I noticed an emotion flash in his eyes and I'm almost certain his eyes sparkled. His eyebrows shot up and jaw evidently fell as he stared at my leading man. I think I even saw him drool so I nudged and woke him from his fantasy land.

"Now, now, Malik; don't you burn the kid! Be chill like the man you should be. You still got that lady of yours." I teased with a wink.

"I, uhh..." the lad hesitated, before finally deciding to spill me the tea. "Speaking about the lady of mine... She's returned to her place last Monday, yeah? She'd been really busy since." Zayn looked at me with weak eyes, before glancing down on the empty seat before us.

It was then that I noticed the dark bags under his eyes, and had clear reason for them. How have I not noticed this before? This boy has always been fueled by their love. As hard as long distance is, they've always got time to at least send text messages.

"Busy with work, Z?" I asked him, but he just shrugged. He explained how she'd been busy like this before, and it almost killed their relationship. He shared how Perrie admitted long ago she'd somewhat lost love for him until he drove all the way to her to apologize for something he couldn't control, and courted her again.

He was afraid of the possibilities of it happening again, and if it did, he wouldn't drive all the way for her anymore. And that's what scares him the most. He loves the lady with all he has, but maybe they aren't for each other after all.

"But last weekend... You're obviously still madly in love with each other. I almost thought you were newly engaged or something!" I pondered, waiting for his response.

"Yeah, well... she has a talent of making it seem as though she's still in love with the person she no longer loves, I guess." He answered in a hushed voice. "But she's never left me even for a while like that; whenever we're together we'd spent our whole time with each other as much as possible."

I tried recalling that day with the arsehat, Grimmy. Perrie fled with Eleanor as we played, and reasoned that it would be boring for them both. I had thought it was proper reason, but having in mind that they're barely together, why would Perrie not spend her time with her boyfriend of years?

"Am I wrong for wanting us to make it?" Zayn said, seemingly giving up. "I think I know she don't love me; I'm just a fool for her."

"Come on, Zayn. Don't be like that! Cheer up, I'm sure she still feels the same."

"Yeah, I wish."

As if on cue, the kids called me and claimed that they're ready. Glancing at Zayn for one more time, I instructed them to practice Act 1.

----

On my way home, I received a text from Eleanor.

Hey, Lou! You busy? Could we meet at the café?

Confused but clearly glad that she wanted to meet up, I replied right away.

Hi! 'M actually just on my way home, so yeah I don't mind. See you x

I made my way to the coffee shop and saw her on a table for two. She got herself a white chocolate mocha frappuccino and another for what seems to be a double chocolaty chip frappe. My favorite!

"Hi, love. Did I take too long? Sorry for keeping you waiting." I uttered as soon as she sees me. She said it was all right and asked me to have a seat. I wondered why she's already gotten us drinks; I feel ashamed.

Her eyes stayed fixed on her drink, blankly stirring it with her straw. "I guess I just want to, uhh" she paused, trying to look for the right words to explain her thoughts.

I grew anxious at her intentions for this meet up, as I first thought this would be better than how it's going now. Does she hate me? Am I worse than her first thoughts on me?

"I haven't been entirely honest with you," she finally continued and my heart sank. What could she be referring to? I simply nodded for her to continue. "Let me just get this off my chest. I- I have a boyfriend."

"Wait, what?!" Rage consumed every fiber of my being. Haven't I been obvious with my intentions? Wasn't it obvious that I like her to be more than just friends and she rewards me with a statement that she's got a boyfriend?

"I'm sorry, Lou; let me explain." She paused once more, stirring up her cup yet again. "We cooled off for a bit when we met; trust me I wasn't entirely cheating with you, if it'd even be considered as such. But I guess he came back yesterday, apologized and all that, you know..."

I bit my tongue. I bit my tongue hard and I could almost feel it bleeding endlessly. I let her finish her explanation, but without another word, I fled.

I haven't been this interested with someone for so long. And this is what I get. It hurts, yeah, but for some reason, I feel like she's only hurt my ego.

~

A/N: Yes, an update!!! This is all for you guys. I apologize once more for the wait. I re-read the previous chapters, and it's pretty much a cringe-worthy fanfic for me! But you guys have been wanting me to update, so here it is! You guys motivate me, so I hope you love it. And since I take too long to update, I have one shots on AO3 if you want to check them out I'm boobear_meets_hazza on there. Once again, thank you!