Chapter 24: Deep Breath

Edgar carried Zara up and carefully laid her in my bed. "I'll go whilst you sort her out."

"Go where?" I said quickly.

"Outside the door. If you like."

"I like."

I murmured a quiet commentary in Zara's ear as I removed jewellery and clothes. When the covers were over Zara, I opened the door, but not before checking the mirror.

Edgar leant on the banister looking at an old school picture of Robbie and me. He smiled as I passed. I didn't dare speak; Mum and Robbie slept restless in their rooms.

Needing a large dose of ordinary and domestic, I enjoyed the sound of rushing water as I filled the kettle. The whole experience of making tea gave me time to think and breath. It also allowed me to avoid eye contact without seeming rude.

It was strange acting normally when nothing was normal. Not today's events, the people we'd spoke to or the energy between us... especially the energy between us. The clinking of china mugs kept me mildly focused.

I placed the two mugs on the table and sat on the chair opposite, finally ready to talk. It could've been an afterschool chat with Zara, same chairs, same cups, same tin of biscuits, but the tension in the air was almost painful. I wanted more than just conversation with Edgar, and this surprised me.

Edgar focused on my face and then squeezed his eyes shut, too aware of my thoughts. Maybe, I'd read the signs wrong.

"Ed, who tried to kill you?"

There was definitely relief as he opened his eyes. "A mortal, a wiccan novice and most certainly their leader; no one I recognised, although... I've felt the presence before, somewhere. It was someone who somehow knew I was guarding you."

"I've told no one. Not even Zara."

"But Iona and Darcy have watched us together. Both know you've an interest in magic and there's also the enchantment on the coin."

"The coin?" The kitchen took on a night-time eeriness, cold and echoic, even the ticking clock grew louder as I waited for him to continue.

"The coin, as soon as I brought it back, the desire to stay away from you diminished. But admittedly, I didn't see either of your friends before the nice young lady walking near Gladys' cottage speared me."

"You were with me all along, weren't you?" I sipped tea and a surge of warm and fuzziness followed the liquid down my throat.

"You'll know if ever I'm not," he glared fiercely.

"I did. I felt hollow when my cat was dead." My cheeks burned with the declaration.

Ever the gentleman, Edgar carried on. "Their knowledge surpasses any human coven or magical circle I've ever come across. In Celtic times, the supernatural talked freely about their abilities. Mortals with an understanding of magic knew exactly what to do, because they passed on information and collected spells."

I shivered. "They wanted to stop me."

"To protect themselves in the future. But how do they know what to do? This book the leader mentioned... Your recollections and what I've found in the remnants-."

"You've been in my head again?" I scowled.

He grimaced. "It was a good cause, I didn't want you to have to explain the details."

I let it pass, and watched as the steam from the two cups entwined and danced.

Edgar shook his head, mystified. "I'm going to source this book and find out what I can about any ancient texts that are missing."