Chapter 18: Christmas

"So I'm officially his girlfriend," said Zara excitedly.

"Zar, I'm so glad for you. A little jealous of the kink in our relationship, but mostly happy." I lay back on my bed. Christmas Eve. I hadn't seen Edgar for two days, but then I hadn't been out of the house.

"Minta! You'll always be number one; you know that. Tell me about Harry The Fire Fighter. Did he come round for dinner in the end?"

"Yup. And do you know, Robs and I loved him. He's Mum's number one, I can tell. No kids either, so we don't even have to compete for attention. How cool is that?"

"Minta you're terrible!" Zara laughed. "Wait, I forgot to ask, you were dancing with that incredible looking guy on Friday night at Hunters. And?"

My hesitation lasted too long, Edgar might appear at any moment and Zara knew something was amiss. "You're seeing him again. You are aren't you?"

I couldn't lie; the conversation had gone far too quickly. "No, not exactly not like that. It's complicated."

"Minta, that's great, when can I meet him?"

"Zar, honest, he's a friend of Gladys, Gam's friend. We went to visit her together."

"You did? Wow! I think I've been so wrapped up in my Pete quest, I've been missing out on some serious episodes in your live Minta Hardwick."

If only she knew. "Maybe. Look Zara, I've got to go. Have you started the English assignment yet?"

"Of course. Bet you haven't. Don't fret, we'll get together after Boxing Day and do it. Please read the book though and I do not mean the study guide, and Minta?"

"Yeah?"

"That was a crap change of subject. Happy Christmas, love you."

"Love you too."

*

Fairies in the snow.

White haired nymph like creatures, dancing, laughing. I see a face, I know her... She smiles and I invite her in through the open window.

A pain in my head.

"Araminta, wake." The voice was urgent.

"Stop!" I stretched out into the darkness, searching.

"I'm here, Araminta."

I wrapped my arms around him tightly and sobbed into his neck as Edgar hauled me towards him. Bodies close, thighs side-to-side, my fingers dug into his shirt. He wasn't allowed to move away. "Where were you? They were here Ed, they were in my room."

"No they weren't." His words were muffled in my neck, his breath and heavy on my shoulder. "The battle field is in your mind. They're strong but, they're mortal, we can fight them. It's okay."

But it wasn't. "It was real. There was a knife. She was going for my third eye, Edgar, I know she was."

My wet tears smudged between us, as Edgar's head lifted and his cheek pressed against mine. "I won't let them hurt you." His voice was a whisper. "No matter what, I will keep you safe until you have the power to protect yourself."

My sobbing decreased. I relaxed. Breathing - his and mine - drowned out silence.

"And you will be ready."

I gave in completely to his reassuring voice and body warmth and enjoyed being held. Only when I remembered he was a guy and I was still in bed did I pull back and gape. "I feel like I've known you all my life."