Chapter Two- Rewrite

a/N: eh.. Not sure about this chapter. What do YOU think?

Chapter Two: Six months earlier..

 Saint Mary's high school was one of the most prestigious high schools in the nation. The school prided itself on academic excellence and only the most gifted students were accepted. The high school was designed for the elite. Most students couldn't afford to spend a quarter of a million dollars on their high school education.

The Iron gates outside of the campus were a way to keep outsiders away from the school and to keep its local residents imprisoned. Today, the Iron gates were tainted by snow and Ice. It was the beginning of September and the appearance of a snowstorm had marked the first day of winter.

Snow plummeted from the sky like searing bullets. The grand fountain that stood in the middle of the courtyard was frozen over by ice. Ice had formed into the shapes of delicate crystals and dangled from the edge of the fountain.

"You're going to be late for class." Lena said. Her voice was as soft as a whisper but her eyes were firm. Lena had a perfect attendance record and hadn't missed a day of class in three years.

"Right now, I'm still in traffic. The black Ice on the road is so terrible that it causes my car to slip. I have minor injuries from the accident but I should be able to go to class in another week. My doctor says that all of my assignments must be sent to me and I'm in no condition to take any tests for the next week. How hard do you think it would be able to write a fake doctor's note?" Sage asked

Lena smiled. Her smile was clearly forced because the truth was written in her eyes. Her soft eyes were filled with genuine concern.

"You're funny, Sage but we both need to get to class before we get into trouble." Lena said.

Lena's life was governed by rules.

Lena believed that if society didn't use rules to govern its citizens then chaos would erupt. People would return to their animalistic nature and our current society would be destroyed.

Sage believed that rules were a way to manipulate people and strip people of their free will. Sage followed Lena through the stone cobbled courtyard. All of the plants had been killed off by the storm.

The vibrant, red roses that had been once beautiful were turned black. They were careful not to step on the sharp stones as they made their way to the building. The historic building had been around for more than a hundred years.

To an outsider, the building looked fairly simple. Once they slipped past the stain glass doors, they were reminded that Saint Mary's high school was no ordinary building.

The ceiling was a portrait of seven scenes from the bible. The painter had managed to paint with slow, delicate strokes and capture every angle of his subjects.

Two of the paintings he recreated were of The Last Judgment and the Creation of Adam.

Sage couldn't name all of the paintings. Lena would be able to name every painting and talk about the history behind each piece. The historical building had originally started at a church. In 1790, the church was closed down due to corruption and rumors of sexual abuse.

Several years later, the building was converted into a school for gifted Intellectuals.

"Art history starts in less then a minute. We are going to have to run and hope that we don't get caught." Lena said.

Running in the halls was against the rules. If students were caught running in the hall, they would be sent to the dean for a firm talk. Sage's best friend-who never broke the rules-was forced to break a school rule because of her. Sage had never been so proud of her best friend.

Lena hooked her arm through Sage's elbow and they raced down the hall. Their laughter and tiny footsteps echoed through the corridors of the hall.

"This way." Lena said as we turned a sharp corner. Both girls bolted into the first class of the day. Mrs. Cain looked at Lena and smiled brightly.

"I'm glad you could make it, Lena. Please take a seat and turn your textbook to page 312." Mrs. Cain said.

Then Mrs. Cain turned back to Sage and said, "You're late again, Sage."