Chapter 24

So, I'm posting this in advance mainly because I will focus on my homework for like two weeks and then continue writting. Which means this is a heads up. I promise you really will like it :D

By the way, the song used is on the side if you want to listen to the version I used. Note that this is the Ingrid Michelson version and it's only for the first verse before "Like a river flows..."

Hope you enjoy it,

Kewk :3

+++

We reached our houses at around 7.15, quite late to be honest although it didn’t seem to matter today, plusit was evident that there was no one at my house since all of the lights were off. Usually the one of the living room would illuminate the front yard but tonight it wasn’t. It was as dark and as lonely as ever.

Well, there’s an advantage of why tonight it can be a good idea to eat with Zoë and her family.

Zoë put the car away in the garage and as she stopped the engine and put the break I was already out of the car, something I think I’d do if she was using the bike. But, anyway, I looked around since it has always surprised me how organized it is. So unlike how Zoë’s room can be so I bet this is due to one of her parents.

“Give me that.” Zoë said pointing at a ski-cap hung on the wall in front of the car.

I grabbed it seeing that it was her white ski-cap and threw it to her, which for some reason brought a smile to her face.

“What?” I asked.

“No. Nothing,” Zoë said and heading towards the direction of the door.

She pressed the button on the wall and had the garage door slid to a close. It sounded just like garage doors do, old and all even if they seem new as a baby just born. Yeah, that’s how this house has been ever since this family moved in and the old man who used to live here died.

“Yeah, that old man didn’t use it much so it’s been hard to fix.” Zoë shrugged, “Anyways, come on. Dad probably waited for me to eat.”

Not that I had a bad relationship with my parents, but they were the kind to be selfish enough to eat without me, that’s why we came to the agreement I would make my dinner. Sometimes they’re out, sometimes they’re so hungry that they eat what they made for me or sometimes they’re simply not hungry. Although it works fine for all of us so there are no complaints…

Meaning that by now, I’m already feeling a little strange about this.

“Don’t worry,” Zoë said a little cheerfully, the way she always seems to be when I see her at her home. “You’ve met them and they obviously don’t bite.”

But Zoë still looked at me and seemed to understand. She saw how my relationship with my parents was at the hospital. Well, at least what it was with my mom because my dad is much more considerate. I haven’t really talked to her about it but she got along with my mom, and my dad was as shy as he always is so that didn’t matter much.

“Hey, I’m home!” Zoë yelled when she turned away from me and walked into the laundry room. “And Alex is with me!”

“Stop yelling, you son of a…Ow!” Her dad yelled playfully and was obviously interrupted by Zoë’s mom. “Hurry up in here that it’s hard keeping your mom at bay with all the hunger!”

Zoë grinned and turned to wink at me, “Sorry about that. He’s not as decent as he first seems.”

Hmph. Tell me about it. Like father like daughter I guess.