Priceless

"Thanks, Derrick. Here," I handed him a neatly folded 20 dollar bill.

He smiled genuinely at me, shaking his head. "No, Miss Hugh, the pleasure was all mine." He bent my fingers over the money, pushing my fist towards my chest.

"Well, take it any way. Buy yourself a.." I looked at the empty dashboard. "A car ornament or something." I opened up my hand again to him.

He chuckled lightly before taking the crisp note from my palm. "Have a good evening, Miss Hugh."

"Thank you, Derrick. You too." I smiled back at him gratefully and gathered my bags, holding a sleeping Lilah in my arms. I swear it had been months since I've had to wake up in the middle of the night to her crying, or soothe her when she was having a tantrum. She was such a quiet baby, it was strange.

I managed to shove myself through the door frame, letting out a sigh of relief when I entered the homely warmth of the house.

The TV was flickering with the bright colours of a football game broadcasting, and as I approached to couch, I saw Trey had passed out on the settee with a handful of Doritos on his chest and the TV remote laying on the floor.

It was 6:30 in the evening and this boy was already fast asleep. If it wasn't for his chest heaving up and down I would have mistaken him for dead.

"He's a mess," I laughed under my breath, heading upstairs to Lilah's room to put her to sleep. She didn't even stir as I gently put her in her crib and tucked her in, completely knocked out.

I finally entered my room, allowing the bags freedom from my grasp as I collapsed onto my bed.

A wave of dreariness swooshed over me, and my eyes were so close to slipping shut just before I heard a door opening, and a voice call.

"Hello," it said, "Anyone home?"

I knew it had to be only one person, just from the obnoxious husky tone, and the fact that they had the keys to the house.

I rolled my eyes, getting up and crossing the hallway to the stairs and descending down them.

"Israel, do you mind not shouting through the house? Unless you're trying to be heard from China?" I said as I got to where he stood, in the living room, looking at Trey snoring.

His head snapped down at me, his eyes making their way down my body then back up. Usually, I would blush at the way guys would check you out like that, but this was Israel we were talking about. He was good-looking and all, but I'm pretty sure he told himself that every time passed any remotely reflective surface. He just seemed like that type of guy.

"Oh, it's you," he cocked his brow. Oh, keep going Israel, you're heading for runner-up Douchebag Of The Year award. First place was already taken by Mr Carter 'Unfaithful' Drew. Sorry.

"Nice to see you again too," I said foully.

He smiled momentarily, before switching to a frown. "What was your name again? Brie?"

"Close," Dumbass. "It's Rie."

He snapped his fingers, walking to the kitchen as if this was his house. I watched him curtly, my feet urging me to follow him.

He seemed to be searching for something, his eyes scanning around the room. "Why are you even here?" I asked, trying to sound as bland as humanly possible.

"Can't I come see my best friend who I haven't spoken to in years?" He raised his stupid ass eyebrows, projecting false innocence.

"I ask again, why are you hear?" I wasn't taking his shit today.