Chapter Four

Liam

I looked down at Satey trembling below me. She was curled in a ball, staring at the heap of a man in front of her.

"Satey," I murmured just as the gray clouds above opened up with rain.

A few seconds passed and I wondered if she'd even heard me. But, she looked up at me, her eyes distant and fearful. My heart lurched at the sight. She was afraid of me.

"I won't hurt you," I said quietly. Never you.

I stretched my hand out to her, "come with me before he comes to." She stared at my hand, uncertainty reflecting on her face.

"I want to make sure you're safe," I said, "and you're safe with me." I paused before adding, "I promise."

The final word exited my lips and she visibly shook herself, as if waking from a deep sleep. She looked hard into my eyes and took a hold of my hand. I pulled her up into my chest, squeezing her in a momentary embrace. I couldn't help but release a sigh of relief. She was safe. That was all that mattered.

I let go of her hand before leading her to my car. When we reached the vehicle, I opened the passenger door for her. Satey stood there, frozen, as the rain continued to pour.

"Satey," I murmured again.

She looked at me, standing there with the door wide open, and turned her head back to the alley where her attacker lay unconscious. I couldn't see her face from my angle, but her fingers tore at the fabric of her shirt.

"Satey," I said, louder this time as I was desperate to help her.

Slowly, her head turned to face me. Her blue eyes were no longer frightened. What lay in the depths was an emotion I had never seen before. It was filled with pain, sadness, grief, anger, and even confusion. Her unmoving expression caused my heart to thud faster, in a way I had never experienced, almost as though I ached for what happened to her.

I left the door behind, wide open, and stepped up onto the curb again. She looked up at me with her rain streaked face and I looked at her with mine. I reached a hand up towards her face and she flinched with closed eyes, causing me to furrow my brows. I tucked a few strands of loose hair behind her ear and she relaxed, her eyes popping open.

"I want you to come with me," I said quietly, "For tonight, I want you to be where I know you're safe."

She stretched out her hand silently and took mind before I led her back to the car. She slid onto the seat as I rushed to other side to start the car. She curled in a ball and leaned against the door to stare outside as I pulled away from the curb.

I watched her while I drove, sneaking glances every few seconds. She was staring out the window, emotionless. It broke my heart to see her in such a vulnerable state, yet so boarded up by walls to protect herself. Satey noticed me staring at her and looked back at me. I turned to look at the road, feeling an embarrassed heat creep up my neck.

Without words, she reached forward and took the hand that was resting on my thigh. She wound her fingers tightly with mine in a silent thanks, her digits cold and moist from the rain. She leaned back. She didn't say anything, nor did her expression change the whole ride to my house. But the small touch of her fingertips stroking the back of my palm was enough to comfort me, while at the same time driving me mad.

We reached my house and she opened her own door to stare at the looming building above us. I looked at her for a few moments. Satey looked so small, her clothes clinging to her in the rain and her once-light waves were darkly stringing down her neck. I felt my heart clench in anger at the though of anyone who want to break the innocence that possessed her; what made her even more intriguing to me.