{3} In The Shade Of The World Tree

***

Three.

In The Shade Of The World Tree.

***

In the years that followed, the two Fae grew to be the best and most unlikely friends. They may as well have come from two different worlds, one of them a Sparkler-Craftswoman with a skill for whittling, and the other the next in line for the throne.

But none of it mattered.

To each other, they had found a partner, someone who they could share anything with and not be judged or questioned. To each other, there was nothing stopping them from being together, not status, caste, or season.

But eventually, the reality of what was happening around them threatened to burst the small universe they had created around each other.

Leliana, recognising the bump forming in between her shoulder blades, could only bring herself to feel a sense of dread. She had grown exhausted from hiding and sneaking; she hated needing to lie simply to be friends with someone. And as her first blossom grew, petals long, gold and beautiful she felt the hopes dreams of the child she'd been wash away.

The love she had for Oren in the depths of her heart was unrealistic, a fantasy that could never bear any fruit. It upset and broke her heart to know that they would never be together in the way she wanted. They would never be as free as she wanted.

And it wasn't as if she knew he felt the same way.

It was nine years after their first meeting. In the summer of Leliana's first blossom.

She was pacing in their agreed meeting place for this reunion, wearing a dress with a completely open back and breezy fabric, the roots of her short, curly hair were tinted the same colour as was on her blossom, eyes the same molten gold.

When Oren saw her standing under the suns rays, face tilted to the sky and arms spread out to catch as much sun as possible, he had to steady himself against a tree. He'd always loved her dark skin, how warm and beautiful it was compared to his own, especially under the light of the sun.

Every time he thought about her he ached.

Swallowing, wiping the pollen suddenly coating his palms on the tree, he carefully walked into the clearing, sensing that something was different about this meeting.

They might have held immense love for one another, but they hadn't talked about what they were feeling, they hadn't kissed –they'd only just come to accept it, and realise that it may never be possible for them to love each other in the ways they wanted. This was new territory for the two Fae, as they often shared every thought and prayer that they'd ever had; there had never been any secrets between them.

But for now, Oren had always been content to live in the moment, and never consider the consequences.

He stared at the stunning blossom before him -as her back was to him- imagining what it would feel like to touch. Would it be as smooth and velvety as it looked? Would the gold glimmer as much up close?

Letting out an involuntary cough at the sudden rush of emotion, she jumped and spun, launching herself at him in a hug, "Oren!"

He let her go immediately, although wanting to hold her and never let go, it was not decent of him to be anywhere near her blossom without gloves.

Leland smiled, understanding his hesitation. He was taken aback yet again by how absolutely gorgeous she was.

"I knew you'd forget, so I brought you a present," She pulled a pair of smooth silk gloves out of her pocket, "I sewed them yesterday."