{2} Best Place In Avalon

***

Two.

Best Place In Avalon.

***

It would be years before they met again.

While the meeting may have been pushed to the back of their minds for the time being, neither of them had forgotten. The funny thing about a life in Avalon, one always seems to run into someone when they least expect it. The area is not really that big, but to these faeries from entirely different corners, the distance might as well be from Antarctica to the North Pole.

They'd both grown up more over the two years of separation. At 12 years old, they still looked like children, yet acted like they were almost adults. Leliana had moved up in the world, her talents for crafts with her hands earning her a prestigious place in the market square, apprenticing and learning the tools of the trade.

Oren was rarely seen outside of the Winter Palace. It seemed that the whole of Avalon knew that he was apparently sick with some unknown ailment. A complete lie, on behalf of the King, who thought that it would be best to keep the youngest Winter safe, locked up and confined, for his whole life.

Besides, Oren was training to ascend the throne when King Salos faded. He did not have time to be out in public, and nobody could see why he would want to.

It was after one of the many festivals that the Summer Fae pride themselves on. Leliana had had nothing occupy her afterwards, her role had been fulfilled for the week and she did not have anyone to dance with. With her parents gone, she felt lonelier than ever.

She, knowing that no one else would be around, escaped to visit the World Tree, where her mother was last seen and where Leliana knew she was watching. So she wouldn't feel so alone.

Sitting under the shade of the tree, legs crossed and hands expertly carving a wooden figurine, Leliana finally relaxed under the atmosphere created by the thousands of years of experience before her. It was familiar here, she felt more at home in the middle of the forest than in her glass house.

"What are you doing?" A soft, familiar voice echoed out to her.

"Carving," She held up the small figure, a sea turtle with patterns ingrained on the shell, "My neighbors' seedling loves my carvings."

Oren, again wearing Spring Faerie clothing, sat next to her, "Can I see?"

Instantly –used to obeying orders from higher Fae- she passed him the figurine, and began cleaning the tool she'd been using.

"This is very well done," He murmured, turning the turtle over in his hands, "Is this your craft?"

Leliana sat up straighter, bowing her head as he tried to look her in the eyes, "Yes. I aim to start a stall where I can sell the tools of other trades – such as hand-crafted guitars and/or cellos, or spider-silk costumes for-"

"Hey hey hey, Leliana-" He interrupted with wide eyes, touching her shoulder.

She stopped talking instantly, her eyes snapping up to his.

They were an extremely dark brown this time, adding colour to the roots of his hair and standing out on his pale skin.

Hers were a bright red this time, unsettling but suiting her look and inquisitive eyes.

They sat in silence for a moment, until Oren let go of her shoulder, "It is okay, I was simply going to say that you do not have to always be on guard with me. I want us to be friends." He offered her the turtle carving, palm open and inviting.