One Shot

You had me suicidal when you said it's over...

"Where is Kehlani Parrish?!" Dinah frantically asked the nurse at the nurses station.

"Are you family of the patient?" The nurse asked.

"Why the fuck does it matter? I'm here to see Kehlani Parrish!" Dinah demanded.

The nurse scoffed as she turned back to her desk.

"No, wait! Please! I'm sorry. I've known her for years, she's my- my- my girlfriend. Please! Please... Just let me see her," Dinah pleaded.

The nurse sighed, "You're the only exception. Follow me," the nurse said as she got up and guided Dinah to room 143.

"Thank you," Dinah said gratefully as she hugged the nurse.

"You're welcome, and remember, I didn't let you in," the nurse said as she walked away.

Dinah took a deep sigh and opened the door. When she looked inside she gasped, "Lani..."

Kehlani was hooked to various machines, eyes closed, barely breathing...

A tear ran down Dinah's cheek as she rushed to the side of the bed and held Kehlani's hand in hers. She squeezed her hand tight, cringing so as to keep the tears in her eyes. She brought their hands to her forehead and began to mumble a prayer, something she hadn't done in a long time.

"Dear Heavenly Father, please. If you're there. Even if you never listened to my prayers before, I need you to listen to this one. I have but one request tonight. Please don't take my Lani tonight. You just can't take her from me. Please... I lov-"

Before Dinah could finish her prayer she heard a groan. Her eyes shot up and saw Kehlani start to awaken. Her eyes slowly fluttered opened and the first face she saw was Dinah's.

"Dinah..." She let out haughtily. A small smile formed on Dinah's face as more tears spilled from her eyes.

"Lani..." She said as she let go of her hand and hugged her tight. She heard Kehlani groan in pain, causing her to quickly release. The Oakland native rubbed her eyes and was finally able to take in her surroundings. When she saw Dinah she smiled, but quickly turned into a sigh of disappointment, "It didn't work..."

Dinah immediately crossed her arms, "It's a good thing to! Lani why on Earth would you attempt something like this? Did you think about what would happen to your family, friends, fans, and everyone else?! Did you think about what would happen to me... How could you- No, why would you- I just don't even know where to start!"

Kehlani looked at Dinah with the most appalled face ever, "You broke up with me! I was scared, upset, and empty. If I had died at least you would've cared, I hope..."

"What the fuck? Do you have any idea how stupid you sound?!"

"Maybe so! But you can't say I'm wrong," Kehlani yelled back, "The only person in the world, whom I loved, who I thought I'd grow old with, just left me like it was nothing!"

"And you thought this would make me care? Taking the music away from your fans! Taking you away from me? Leaving the world wondering?! If you had succeeded do you understand how bad the ramifications would've been? You-" Dinah started until she was interrupted.

"You're being such a bitch, you know that? Acting like my life is in anybody else's hands other than mine. You lost any say you had in my life when you broke up with me! I loved you, I still love you. What happened? Why did you leave me..." Kehlani defended herself as she started crying.

Dinah sighed as she walked over to the side of the hospital bed and put the railing down. She nudged Kehlani, who then made room for Dinah. Dinah laid in the bed with her and encapsulated her with her arms and let her cry it out. Kehlani clutched onto Dinah's arms and sobbed, getting all her emotions out. Tears started making their way down Dinah's cheeks again as she comforted her ex.