Horse Charmer - Chapter Three - Part Two

Cassia's head pounded in rhythm to the argument surrounding her. She sat behind her father's desk in his study with Sarahann, Eb, and the other two Karahan advisors. It wasn't the first time she'd had to sit in on a meeting in here.

She loved this room. It was where she felt closest to him. He hadn't liked trappings and this was the only room that held simple but sturdy furniture. The tapestries were hung for the purpose of warmth instead of decoration. They all depicted famous hunts of his father and grandfathers. A large hearth held a dancing fire keeping out the evening's chill.

"He told me he was removing that clause," Eb said.

"Well, obviously he didn't," Karahan Advisor Abiga said. The oldest of the advisors in her late fifties, she was the only woman advisor in the Karahan court and most people overlooked her power because of her plain looks.

"You believe him?" Eb asked his astonishment clear in his tone.

The treaty was spread out on top of the large desk and Cassia tried to read and understand what it meant. Distracted, she traced her father's signature with her finger.

"My husband signed it," Sarahann said. "That's his signature and seal."

"King Erich is correct," Abiga said. "Our people won't stop blaming the Vesperans unless we make it clear we don't."

"Princess Cassia shouldn't have to marry to do that," Eb said.

"It would be the quickest and most efficient way," Karahan Advisor Donaly, the youngest of the advisors in his early thirties, said.

"The marriage will occur," Sarahann said.

"What?" Cassia looked up at her mother in shock.

"It's what your king wanted." Sarahann paced over to the window to gaze out at the small village. "The people need a symbol of our faith. Your marriage will be it."

"I never met him until tonight."

"I never met your father until our wedding day," Sarahann said, not looking back at her daughter.