Horse Charmer - Chapter Two - Part Two

The funeral for King Robet of Karah was as grand as everyone expected for a beloved ruler. His people flocked around Castle Karah, crowding the tiny village and spreading out into the farm fields on the rolling hills. They sang as one and the melancholy song filtered up and over the walls into the courtyard where the funeral took place.

Cassia stared at the dark gray cloud of smoke drifting up and dissipating into the winds over the castle walls. She couldn't bring herself to lower her gaze to the large mountain of logs and sticks that blazed intensely. She'd made the mistake of looking at the pile as they lit it and she'd been able to make out the shape of her father clothed in his ceremonial robes. There was no pretending or hoping everyone was wrong anymore. He was gone.

She stood in the front of a large group gathered about twenty feet in front of the flames. Her brothers clustered around her. Tears streaked her cheeks, but with a will she hadn't known she possessed she controlled her sobs as long as she didn't look down at the fire. Tully and Faolan cried next to her and clung to the heavy black fabric of her skirt. She smoothed their hair back from their foreheads and glanced at Gordain. He wasn't crying, silently or loudly, but she could tell he was barely able to keep his control. He also stared up at the billowing cloud. It struck her how much he looked like their father in that moment. He might have gotten their mother's coloring of dark hair and eyes, but the set of his chin and the way he clasped his hands behind his back was completely like Robet.

She watched him for a moment before peeking at her mother who stood apart from her children, before directing her gaze back up at the cloud. The Karahan advisors, ambassadors from other villages and kingdoms, and the managing castle staff, stood behind them. Cassia could hear slight rumblings from them and grew irritated that they couldn't remain quiet out of respect.

"How many have gathered?" Sarahann whispered.

She looked at her in confusion, but realized her mother wasn't talking to her.

"Nearly a thousand, Your Highness," Karahan Advisor Eb said just as softly. A large man, in height and girth, he always looked impeccably groomed and Robet had valued his careful advice.

"We shall include the villagers in our funeral feast." Sarahann turned to the castle chef.

"Your Highness," Head Cook Sulwin's nasally voice responded. "There isn't enough food."

Sarahann was silent for a moment. "You shall make sure they receive the same meal you'll be serving us."

Rapid footsteps retreated and Head Cook Sulwin scurried back toward the castle. Cassia looked from him to her mother, wondering at her insistence. Sarahann's regal mask didn't falter as she stared directly at the pile of burning logs. Cassia closed her eyes not wanting to follow her mother's gaze and pulled Faolan and Tully closer. They didn't resist her hug, but relaxed into her skirt.

The slight rumblings behind her became more distinctive as several village elders argued among each other.

"We should be striking back," Village Elder Zane said in an angry voice.

"We don't know who's behind this," Village Elder Shara placated him.

"Vespera is responsible," Village Elder Zane insisted.

"What of Julyan?" Village Elder Twan asked. "It was his Talent who was supposed to protect our King."

"He was killed in Vespera," Village Elder Zane said, "that's all the proof we require."

"You can't get past a Talent unless the Talent lets you," Village Elder Twan said.

Cassia turned to stare at the group of three men, their conversation penetrating the fog of her grief. She'd been so focused on what she'd lost, she hadn't really considered the who and the why. Sarahann nodded to Eb in disapproval. He silenced the small group of men with a few harsh words.

Cassia frowned as she let their comments roll about her head. Who had killed her father and why? A king was always a target. That was why he never left the castle without his bodyguard and his contingent of royal guards. Where was Talent Westleigh? Why hadn't he returned with Robet's body? No one had mentioned him or where he had been when her father was killed.