25| s e v e n t h

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y -
F I V E
=> s e v e n t h
p a r t  7
|reg|

Regulus closed his eyes and pretended he was somewhere, anywhere—like Paris, for example—other than here.

He tried to drown out the screams, the cries of anguish and the dark laughter mixing with them. He acted as if none of this was touching him in the worst ways possible—he pretended he couldn't feel the guilt for just standing there as a random muggle man pleaded at him—Regulus—to help him—stop them, please! I haven't done anything—and Regulus was a coward. He left.

Regulus apparated to his room and doubled over—that's what he hated the most, feeling like he's going to throw up his insides but nothing ever does come up. It's just gagging.

He threw off the robes then dropped onto his bed. He's alone, he realises, because the one and only true friend he had hates him. The cousins he actually like—Andromeda and Narcissa—had either had the courage to run away or, like Narcissa, just pulled through. Regulus heard that she was betrothed to the Malfoy son—Lucius.

Lucius was a Death Eater too. Regulus suddenly felt pity for whoever had the burden of being Lucius' son.

Regulus tried not to cry because he knew Sirius hated him too—he's just a stranger to his little brother, it seems. The sketchy relative you've never met—only really seen—and have no intention of talking to.

Then there's Lily—sweet, Lily. Regulus felt his heart ache because he's in love with the fiery redhead but it's also his fault she hates him so. Him and his cowardice.

But he had no choice!

Regulus scrunched up his eyes and decided then that he would do some good to the world. He knows what he's going to do. He knows he's probably going to die trying.

But isn't that better than sitting back and doing nothing?

***********************************