Chapter One : The Beginning

"Is there really nothing else I can do?" I started biting my nails, just being in his office already made me nervous enough.

His office was filled with piles and piles of papers over every desktop except for the little space occupied by a sculpture of an elephant. Picture frames with certificates that dawned his name were hung on every inch covering the walls. His desk was placed in the middle of the room with two huge comfy chairs in the front and one gigantic chair on the other side. It probably made him feel like royalty, I'm sure that's why he got it.

Sunlight drowned the room since he never turned on the lights saying that any light other than natural light gave him a headache. As he skimmed through my transcript his lips were in a tight line and his eyebrows were scrunched together reading the small print. I crossed my legs for the thousandth time trying to but failing to hide my panic.

Mr.Brunes sighed pushing my transcript to the side of his desk and put his worn hands together like he was praying.

Maybe I should start praying too. Yeah, praying would be a good idea-at this point in the meeting.

"No Amelia, you need more volunteering hours to get into NYU. There's nothing I can do for you anymore, I fixed everything that needed to be fixed now you have to put in some hours."

My palms were sweating and I stared at the tiny detailed elephant on his desk searching for another question so I didn't have to face the truth that I was gonna have to work with the devil.

It was so tense in here, I need to lighten the mood.

"It's not enough that I'm student body president, Art club president and Editor-in-Chief of the newspaper? I mean what more could they want? Am I right Mr.B?" I started to raise my first to get a bump but realized who I was talking to and redirected my hand to my hair run my fingers through and looking out the window.

I hope someone out there was having a better day than I was. I wish I was anywhere but here.

Mr. Brunes office reminds me of my dad's office. Even though I've only been to his office a handful of times. Suddenly I felt even worse than I already did. Dad. Things have been going downhill since I told him I was dropping my business classes and taking up more music classes. He thought music was an impractical career.

Mr.Brune's cleared his throat, sensing that I wasn't here in this office with him anymore. I looked at him and his painful expression said it all.

"Look Amelia, I need to talk to other seniors today. You can come back later and we can talk more if you really need to. Alright?"

He sensed my unease and sighed

"Okay, here go to the secretary and have her make you another appointment with me" His head was tilted to the side, I can practically feel the pity rolling off of him. I stood and gathered my bag, resting it on my shoulder and giving him a slight nod.

"Thank you very much, I appreciate your help."

His eyes close while he nods his head at me. I take a deep breath and open his door exiting the room and gently closing the door behind me. The lights were overwhelming after being in his office for awhile. I walked toward the secretary's desk where she had a vase filled with fake flowers taped to Bic pens. She was on a very loud phone call with what seems to be her "dumb as a stick husband." I didn't want to interrupt her so I just sat in a chair they had placed around the main office.

I let my bag rest on my thighs and I picked at my nail polish. I decided to look at the pictures they had hung on the walls, and my eyes roam to one particular picture of me, my very best friend, her brother and the devil.