5. The Letter

After the meeting I exit the boardroom with Dad. He turns towards me. "You should go home with Johnny. If you have any problems with Grant you should tell your brother. I know he will do everything to keep his little sister safe."

I sigh. "I know. He'll do anything to keep me safe. But, I'm perfectly fine to take care of myself." I kiss his cheek. "Thanks for letting me go home early." I walk away from him and enter my office.

The office is a complete mess with papers all over the floor. Johnny is lying on his back with Sophie sitting on top of him.

Aw, that's so cute.

Gracie looks at me. "Mommy." She walks over to me and stretches her arms out.

I lift her up and place her on my hip. "Hey, baby. Are you ready to go home?"

She nods.

I kiss her cheek. "First we need to clean up my office before we go anywhere." Johnny and the twins help me clean my office. I pick up my handbag and the twins diaper bag. I turn to Johnny. "Were they good?"

Johnny smiles. "They were Angels." He moves next to me and whispers. "I need to go out of town in a couple of days for three weeks."

That's good. I really want to look after the girls on my own without my brother helping me. I'm grateful for everything he's done. But, I need to bond with the girls more. I just felt like I was being overshadowed by my Big Brother.

I hug him. "I'm going to miss you when you go away. The girls will too. You need to tell them that you're going out of town for a few weeks before you leave. They have grown attached to Uncle Johnny being around."

He looks at the girls. "I will."

I pick up Gracie while he picks up Sophie. We walk over to the lift and wait for it to open. The door opens and we step into the lift. When the lift stops on the ground floor we exit it and walk to the carpark. Johnny places Sophie in the car and he buckles her up. I do the same for Gracie.

Johnny shuts the door and he opens the driver's side door for me. "I'll see you at home, sis." He kisses my cheek and walks away.

I climb into the car.

***

At home Sophie waits next to the door for Johnny to come home. She looks at me. "Where's Jo?"

I kneel in front of her. "He'll be here soon, sweetheart. How about you watch some TV until he comes home?"

She smiles. The walks over to the stack of kids DVD's and shows me Frozen. I take it from her and put the DVD in. Sophie sits on the big couch with Gracie. Gracie hits the spots next to her. I walk over to her and sit. I press the next button on the clicker to get through the previews. I press play when the menu comes up. Frozen begins and the twins watch the TV. She Elsa starts to sing they stay up and dance.

That's so cute.

I feel my pocket and find my phone in the back pocket. I pull it out and record them. After the song they sit on the couch. Gracie lies her head on my lap and Sophie does the same. I stroke there head.

After the movie Johnny enters the house and he has an envelope in his hands. He frowns at it. He holds it up to me. "I found this under the door knocker."

I take the envelope from him and walk into the kitchen. I sit on the stool and open the envelope. A few pictures and a letter falls onto the table. I see a picture of Gracie, Sophie and I sitting on the couch watching TV. I flip the picture over and there's a message there. 'I'm Watching You.'

Johnny enters the kitchen and he looks at the pictures on the table. He turns the pictures over and read the stuff written in permanent marker. He looks at me. "Were you going to tell me about this, Laken?"

I shake my head. "I was going to take care of it myself."

He crosses his arms. "How are you going to take care of it? You have two one year olds in your care. You need to think about them and not get yourself into any trouble. I'm going to ask someone to keep an eye on you."

I shake my head. "Dad's, already doing that. I told him that I didn't want you to know about it. I didn't think he'd put a letter on the house for you to see."

Johnny looks at the table where the letter is sitting. He points to it. "Are you going to open it?"

"No, it's all yours. I'm going to check on the girls. There too quiet for my liking." I walk into the kitchen and I see pen marks over the wall. I shake my head. I walk over to Sophie and take the pen from her. I pull her onto my lap. "Angel, if you want to draw let me know so I can get a piece of paper. You don't draw on walls or furniture."

She nods.

Johnny exit the kitchen and he looks at the wall. "Shoot! I forgot to put the pen away." He looks at me. "I'm sorry, Laken."

I shrug. "It's only a wall. I need to repaint it anyway."

Johnny laughs. "You're the only person I know that would flick it aside. Do you and the girls want to go out for dinner?"

"Can we go tomorrow night? I prefer notice instead of things being sprung on me."

He nods. "Sure, sorry it didn't think about you wanting notice to go out for dinner."

I turn towards. "When I didn't have kids you were able to spring stuff on me. Now, that I have kids its different." I look at Gracie and Sophie. "Can you look after the girls while I cook dinner?"

Johnny sits on the floor and plays with the girls. I walk into the kitchen and I start to make dinner for us. While dinner is simmering I make the girls sandwiches. I walk into the lounge room. "Angel's, its dinner time."

Gracie stands up and she lifts her up in the sky. I lift her up and place her on my hip. "Let's have dinner." I carry her into the kitchen and place her in the high chair. Gracie picks up the sandwich and she puts it into her mouth.

Johnny and Sophie slowly come into the kitchen. Johnny looks at the sandwich. He arches an eyebrow. "You wanted to stay here and give the girls this sh..."

I cover his mouth with my hands. "Not in front of girls." I remove my hand and he finishes the sentence off. "...it." I glare at him.

Johnny laughs.

I rise and put my hands on my hips. "That's not why I didn't want to go out for dinner. The girls need to have a bath. I would like a couple of hours to get ready. You always want to go to some fancy restaurant for dinner and I don't want to rush the girl's bath and hurry up to get ready." I look at the clock. "We probably wouldn't get a table until later either. You should call the restaurant and book a reservation."

Johnny pulls his phone out of his pocket and he makes the call. He talks for a bit and then hangs up. He turns to me. "Is that better?"

"Yes,"

***

Thanks for reading

Vote/comment/share/follow me

❤️MissDredge❤️

Let me know what you think of the current chapter of Foster Mom. I will have another chapter for you tomorrow.