Chapter 14 - Newsworthy

Start from the beginning

            Taken aback, Levi leaned back in his chair, “Thanks.” The two teens just stared at each other across the worn wooden library table.  Levi’s chest muscles flexed under his shirt and his blue eyes shook a little. “What are you looking up?” Levi tried to change the subject.

            “Just…you know, work stuff.” Ford knew Levi would get the hint.

            “Is it that ice woman again?” Levi questioned, “I can help if you need it.”

            Ford shook his head, “It’s a one man job I’m afraid.” He felt Levi’s hand on his and then his eyes connected once more with the jock. Ford felt his pants tighten and he crossed his legs. He thought of the previous spring when they were kissing in Levi’s garage.

            “It doesn’t have to be.” Levi whispered so only Ford would hear him. Ford looked into Levi’s eyes and smiled but pulled his hand back to the book. A loud slam jolted the two boys. Nina dropped her book bag on the table.

            “Okay lovers,” She joked and sat down. Levi stood up and looked at Ford than Nina and left. “What are you doing?” Nina asked Ford.

            “Researching,” Ford flipped another page in the book he had.

            “We have something called the Internet now.” She pulled out a stack of papers from her bag and dropped them in front of Ford. “Her name is Hera, she is a Greek goddess. When the lightning storms started the emergency rooms were filled.”

            “With victims?” Ford finished, but was wrong.

            “With premature babies, luckily it was only about 20 for the Denver area. She is the Goddess of marriage, women, and birth….her powers are pathetic compared to a Sage of Wind like yourself.” Nina continued. Nina was smart and Ford could see that. She was also determined, which Ford didn’t know was a good or bad thing yet.

            “Then why the lightning?” Ford questioned.

            “I’m guessing she took the staff from her husband – Zeus. She is the last of the Greek Gods, or so she says.” Nina tapped her print outs in thought.

            “Then how do we stop her?” Ford got right to the point, he didn’t care about the back-story Nina was looking for. She was such a reporter, it kind of bothered him a little bit.

            “Get the staff away from her when she generates it. Then, I dunno, kill her. How do you usually handle this stuff?” Nina asked as the bell rang for everyone to go to their first period classes.

            “I haven’t been at it too long.” Ford thought about it. He still really wasn’t used to the fighting even though he had gotten better at it. Part of him wished he could just

            “When and where did you get these powers?” Nina asked her pen tapping a piece of paper so conveniently placed in front of her.

            “I don’t want to do an interview right now, okay?” Ford stood up and grabbed his backpack. He kept thinking about Levi and wanted to chat with him more he just didn’t know really what to say to the jock.

            “Why because you like that jock over there? Levi is an asshole, like Carter…plus I don’t even think he is gay.” Nina’s eyes widened like she stumbled on the Holy Grail. “Holy cow, he is…Levi is gay – so the plot thickens.”

            “I got the power at the Museum, from this Greek statue a year ago.” Ford jumped in quickly trying to change the conversation.