Nina, III

Nina

Nina looked at the big stone sitting on Dina's finger. "Wow," she said, "I never thought you of all people would tie the knot so early."

"Isn't it pretty, Nini?" Dina beamed, "Mikey told me it wasn't a real diamond, though," she scoffed. "Cubic something."

"Cubic zirconia," Nina corrected. It's 10x cheaper than a real diamond and just as pretty, but a material girl like Dina probably wouldn't let Michael hear the end of it.

Just then, Dina let out a squeal and wrapped her arms around Nina. "I'm getting married, Nina!" she exclaimed, "And to Michael Bachelor, of all people!" She gasped, starry-eyed. "I'll be marrying into the Goth family!" The prospect of marrying into money excited Dina, but not Nina.

"Don't get ahead of yourself, D. You're marrying into the Bachelor family."

"I know, Nina, but Mikey is Bella's brother. Bella is married to Mortimer Goth. From my understanding, the Bachelors were pretty well off in Sunset Valley." All Nina could do was roll her eyes. Her twin was letting the promise of wealth get to her already.

"So how did he do it?" she asked, leading the conversation away from money.

"It wasn't spectacular or anything, if that's what you're asking. He called me and asked me to come over, so I did. Next thing I know, he's on one knee asking me to marry him."

Nina liked Michael. He was a simple man, not flashy and boisterous like most of Dina's past boyfriends. It's a wonder those two got together in the first place. To an outsider, Michael looked like some average Joe. When you got to know him, or even heard his last name, however, you'd know that he was as loaded as Mr. Big.

"Does Bella know?" Nina found herself asking.

Dina shrugged. "Probably not. I was thinking I could go over there and break the news to them. Who knows, maybe they knew all this time that we were gonna get married!"

"So I guess we're planning a wedding now, sis."

Dina raised an eyebrow. "We? No, we'll get someone whose job it is to do this kind of stuff. Hand me the phone book."

"Dina, we don't have the money for a wedding planner. We just moved here!"

Dina waved her off. "We're not paying for it, Nina! Mikey said Bella and Morty would handle everything. Honestly, you're worrying way too much."

Maybe I should, Nina thought.

All this talk about weddings and Dina going on and on about having her true love made Nina a little... well, for lack of a better word, sad. Nina was a romantic at heart, but knowing that her sister, of all people, was getting married before her made her feel more than a little down. Nina confided in Bella about this, and her advice was to just go to clubs.

"Nightclubs?" Nina asked, reluctant. "I don't know, Bella."

"Well honey, if you're looking for a hookup, Downtown's the place to go. Try the Crypt O'Night Club. It's a little seedy, but it could be what you're looking for."

"Alright, Bella," she said, sighing.

"And don't look so gloomy! You might meet your husband there."

Nina couldn't help but to laugh, but then again, the idea of meeting her husband at a greasy night club sounded plausible to her, somehow.

"Do you need to borrow a dress?" Bella asked, "I've got tons that I don't even wear."

"Thanks," Nina said, "but red isn't really my color."

Nina decided to wear a simple black peplum top with pink leggings and black heels, her hair tastefully tousled. She usually never wore makeup, but wore a bold pink to match the leggings along with some mascara.

Once she got to the club, she noticed there was no line at all. Her watch read 11 PM, but looking at the club gave her an idea why. Crypt O' Night had a very black-and-red color scheme, and the bouncer outside was strangely pale. Vampires, she thought, Bella sent me to a vampire club. She shook her head, but went in anyway.

The dancefloor was empty, save for the DJ setting up in his booth. The bar wasn't so empty, though. It was nearly filled with people ordering drinks and loudly chatting. She noticed one face among the crowd, one she'd seen before. Nina wasn't entirely sure who he was, so she walked to the bar, sat in the spot next to him, and ordered a drink, stealing glances.

"Hey!" the man said, "I know you! You're the cute redhead next door. Nina, right?" Nina did recognize him. It was Don.

She smiled. "Yeah. What are you doing in this place? I didn't think this was your scene."

Don shrugged. "It's not, but this is a great place to pick up girls. Vampire girls love human guys." He winked at her. "What are you doing here?"

"Bella Goth sent me here. I'm starting to think it was a joke." Something in Don's face changed when he heard Bella's name, but Nina wasn't even sure she saw it.

Just then, the music started blaring. A crowd of scantily-clad women and a few men erupted from the front door. "I was wondering when the Pale Girls would get here," Don remarked.

Well honey, if you're looking for a hookup, Downtown's the place to go, Bella said just hours before. Nina knew she wasn't going to find a husband here. For once, she was okay with that. She grabbed Don, her drink, and headed for the dance floor.

The next morning was met with a pounding headache, a sun that was way too bright, and a sister that was being way too loud in the kitchen. Nina groaned. She felt the space beside her, and, to her surprise, found no one. Instead, she found a note written on a cocktail napkin.

Nina,

I had a great time. I don't usually write notes to my hookups, but I'd like to see you more.

-Don