NINE

HANEUL

Kring! Kring!

I slowly opened my eyes and stretched my arms. It was still dawn but I couldn't find sleep again so I've decided to wake up.

I've made up the bed and went to the bathroom to take a shower. Mr. Byun's house was really luxurious that I'm having difficulties with the shower. I really needed to familiarize myself with these kind of equipments.

I lathered my favorite vanilla soap on my body gently. My body's kind of aching these past few days. I wonder if it was just the pregnancy. I continued massaging my shoulder down to my belly. My baby bump is very visible now. I gently scrubbed my bump and rinsed my body.

After getting dressed with my new uniform (because Mr. Byun said that it might give inconvenience with the baby), I put on my contact lenses and dabbed some light powder on my pale skin and swiped a sheer lipstick on my chapped lips. I wonder why I still look stressed when I always got to rest?

I saw the calendar and I smiled. Today's the day I finally reached the second trimester in pregnancy. My baby's already 4 months and a half. I'm nearing on the stage when I could have the gender of this baby.

Did I mention that to Mr. Byun? I think I did. But he seemed very busy and aloof these days. I should probably just leave a note for him. I got a piece of paper and wrote down the doctor's appointment for today. I went to his study room and placed the note inside his bag. I just hope he would read it.

I went to the kitchen to have some morning coffee. Some maids were still resting and some were doing their chores already. I didn't want to bother them so I made myself my own coffee.

My mind drifted away to a lot of things. Should I be cautious with Mr. Byun from now on? I needed to distance myself and of course I shouldn't be that dependent on him. If ever he wouldn't go with me through my check-ups, I should be considerate.

I'm stirring my own coffee when I heard the head maid came into the kitchen.

"Madam, coffee is not good for the baby."

My thoughts were awakened and I immediately faced the maid. "Oh no, I'm not a madam. I'm not Mr. Byun's girlfriend..." I waved my hands in response.

The head maid, who's Mrs. Choi if I'm not mistaken, furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "But you're carrying the next generation of Byun. How come you're not...?"

I smiled gently at Mrs. Choi. She must've been in the household for long that she was surprised with the sudden news. "I'm just a surrogate mother. I'm the one Mr. Byun needed for his child."

Mrs. Choi was about to answer when we heard Baekhyun entered the kitchen to join the conversation. "I thought we both agreed that you're calling me Baekhyun in this house?"

"I'm sorry. I'm still not used to call my boss by his first name." I scratched my head and smiled sheepishly.

Baekhyun raised a brow. "Well, you should practice by now." He laughed and took my coffee. "Say Baekhyun oppa."

"I think that was too much, Baekhyun-ssi." I emphasized the formality to tease him.

He rolled his eyes and drank my coffee. "Mrs. Choi, prepare for Haneul's drink. She shouldn't have caffeine anymore."