Chapter 12- Misty

C h a p t e r   1 2 -  M i s t y

F l o r e n c e  W a l k e r

Blood. That's all I saw. It came from his broad shoulders, all the way to his torso. The knife I stabbed him with was buried deep into his back. I considered to call the police.. but if I did, I'd be a suspect for sure.

So I did what every horror movie does.

Run.

I sprinted down the mountain. I tripped on a rock, and stumbled down the hill. Rocks and tiny pebbles entered my palms.

"Ouch!" I screamed mutely.

I stopped suddenly when I heard a loud stumble, which sounded like a body rolling downhill. My eyes widened when I realized it was Blake unconscious, rolling downhill.

So like the typical idiot I am, I ran back up the hill, seeing a trail of blood downhill, and Blake rolling down. When he rolled down, the knife got deeper and deeper into his back.

I screamed bloody murder and clamped a hand over my mouth

Rule one: Don't scream, because you'll look guilty.

I saw a couple rush up the hill, eyes scanning me, then the blood on the floor. I saw the man pull out his phone.

"No." I thought.

I ran over to him, and kicked him in his manly spot with my shoe. I couldn't get my fingerprints on him, or else I would surely get caught. The guy curled up in a ball, and gave a very womanly scream, while his girlfriend screamed, and ran away. I took the knife from Blake's back, and put it next to the screaming man.

I took off, not looking back.

*-*
I gave out a shaky breath, as a I  closed the door. The first thing I saw was my mom, her legs sprawled out on the couch, watching news.

"I'm home mom." I called from the mudroom.

I heard her grunt in reply, and mutter something about running out of beer.

I sighed, and stepped over to the kitchen, before the news caught my attention.

"-found next to this young man who's identified as Blake Timbers. He was stabbed in the back recently-"

"Blake Timbers, eh?" My mom said eyeing me.

I quickly shook my head and walked into the kitchen to avoid being questioned. I knew my mom could tell I had something to do with this.

I picked up a granola bar I stashed under the fruit bowl, and made a dart for the stairs. But my mom's voice stopped me.

"Florence. Come sit down right here." My mom said, motioning to the seat next to her.

I sighed, and sat down, relaxing on the squishy chairs.

"I know you stabbed him in the back. I know your dad had to do something with this. So is my dad. Tell me if this is true." She said in a flat voice

Her eyes scanned mine, looking empty and lifeless. I tried to keep my gaze with hers. A million thoughts raced through my head. If I told her, it'd be one less thing to worry about. If I didn't... this would be on me, and me only.

I gave in a big shuddering breath.

"No mom. This is a coincidence. Plus, no one has seen my dad and grandpa in... well never." I said.

My mom stared at me for a moment, and blinked. Then she nodded at me. I gave a big sigh of relief, and ran to the stairs.

But I didn't miss what mom whispered when she thought I was out of earshot.