Chapter Fifty Three

With no sign of Fred returning, Judith could no longer sit as she began to pace behind the sofa. Nathaniel had been asleep for about an hour after dozing off as Eleanor sat on the arm of the chair. She allowed Nathaniel to fall asleep into her side but she was unable to move without disturbing him and everyone in the room agreed it was best if he slept.

"If Volde..sorry," Eleanor began.

"No, say his name." George said. 'Don't give him power with the name anymore. Say it."

Eleanor swallowed. "If Voldemort has found a way to go back and attempt to alter time, does that mean we can figure it out as well. If we figured out his plan, couldn't we go back before he did and stop him from altering whatever it is?"

"We could." Judith said, " if we figured it out, but I have no idea the limitations of altering time or the complications. Not to mention, we don't know how far back Voldemort is looking to go. He could go back to the time where he was born and alter something, or he could go back to the battle of Hogwarts. He could go back to the time where he attempted to kill Harry, we have no way of knowing unless he tells us, which I highly doubt he would do."

"Okay, but what if..." Eleanor rubbed her forehead in frustration, " I don't know! What if he goes back and tries to alter time, what if he only makes it worse for himself? Every action has a consequence, right? Whether it be good or bad. If he tried to change something in his favor, who's to say it wouldn't backfire against him? For instance, let's say he travels back to the night where he tried to kill Harry...let's say he succeeds in killing Harry this time around, but who's to say that while he kills Harry, one of his parents doesn't die? Right? Instead of Harry Potter being the Chosen One, what if his mother or father became the chosen one? Or what if Aurors show up for some reason and boom he's done for...Just because Voldemort thinks he has it planned out, doesn't mean it would go the way he wanted it to. One must always expect the unexpected."

Judith and George both stared at the woman who suddenly fell silent.

"Sorry, I think I got a bit carried away. I've been cooped up in my house for awhile..." she scratched the side of her head awkwardly.

"No, it makes perfect sense." Judith said. " Just because Voldemort goes back and kills one person instead of another, it doesn't mean other problems wouldn't arise for him. Other complications could fall into play."

"But do we take that chance?" George questioned. "Sure he could screw himself over in the process of attempting to alter time, but he could also succeed if the consequences are good in response to his actions. Things could be worse. More people could die in the alternate timeline..."

"But there is the potential for more to survive." Judith argued with him.

Eleanor leaned back on the edge of the chair. "My brain hurts."

"Mine too." George sighed.

"Mine three." Judith agreed, finally sitting back down.

"Where is Fred?" George continued looking at Judith.

"I don't know. I...I don't want to risk travel-"

"No, I don't want you to go there to check but...I hope he comes soon. I know he can't get hurt in that way anymore but I don't want anything bad to happen to him.." George said, his voice cracking slightly. "He's already been through enough. I just wish we could all be at peace and be happy. Go back and enjoy the little things in life."

The room fell quiet once more.

"That's it!" Eleanor said sitting up again. "That's it..."

"What's it?" Judith and George looked at the woman.

"The little things in life count the most. Everyone is so set on alternating big events...but maybe that's what would continue to lead to anyone's downfall. Maybe it's not all about going big or going home."

"I don't understand." Judith told her. "I..."

"Listen.." Eleanor adjusted herself slowly to allow Nathaniel to continue resting. " Perhaps the major events that took place in the beginning need to happen. Voldemort needs to rise to power in the past, because we have no idea if someone were to kill him, who knows if something worse could proceed him. We don't know that, it would be too risky. So the events happen in the way they're supposed to for everything to fall into place...unfortunately it means Harry's parents die leaving Harry as the chosen one...it would leave Harry to fight Voldemort in the end, but if we could help the other people involved before the war takes place...we can save more lives. Then in the end, we would have less dead to fight the battle and save possibly even more lives. You save the lives of people that don't appear like they would play a significant role in the end battle, but it turns out they would alter things in the favor of the good."

Gorge and Judith waited for her to go on.

"Like...Cedric......" Eleanor swallowed. "Imagine if he never died back in the Triwizard Tournament...he wasn't needed for Harry to win the battle but think of the help...think of all the help that people who died early on could play. They alter things just by being there, but in a good way. Perhaps I'm just talking nonsense at this point."

"It's a plausible theory, Eleanor," George said, "but the problem I think lies with all the possible outcomes that could occur in the process of messing with time. There's a reason that the Ministry regulates it so closely...there's a reason why there is so many laws..."

"Right and since when did you start listening to the rules, George?" Eleanor asked him before standing up from the armchair and leaving the room.

Judith looked to George who was frowning. She placed her hand on his back.

"George...I don't think she meant..."

"She's right."