Chapter 7

Ethan

I woke up the next morning in a more chipper mood than usual.

I couldn’t wait to see Casen and it didn’t take me long to get dressed and ready for school.

“Come on, Abby,” I called, waiting for my sister to finish getting ready.

“Oh my God! What is your problem?” she questioned irritably as she came out of the bathroom.

Not even my sister’s sour mood could ruin my good one. I merely grinned at her. “I don’t have a problem. You’re the one with PMS.”

She screeched angrily and went back into the bathroom. I rolled my eyes at her.

“What’s going on now?” Mom asked exasperatedly.

I shrugged. “Abby’s in a bad mood as usual.”

She sighed and shook her head. “Just try not to kill her okay?”

I smiled. “Don’t worry, Mom. I won’t be paying attention to her anyway.”

Mom laughed and smiled before kissing my cheek. “You have a good day at school. Tell Casen hi for me.”

“Will do,” I said and she left the hallway to go back into the kitchen.

Abby came back out of the bathroom.

“You ready?”

“Yeah, I’m ready,” she responded with enough venom to kill an elephant.

“Good, let’s go then.” We left the house. When we reached the sidewalk that would lead to the trail, I paused and looked over at Casen’s house.

I wonder if I should go and get her.

I wanted to, but we hadn’t talked about me walking her to school from her house and I wasn’t sure how she’d react if I showed up unannounced on her doorstep. I stood there, trying to decide.

“Can we get a move on?” Abby snapped at me and I shook my head as she shoved past me. Deciding it’d just be best to meet Casen out on the trail, I started walking again.

I kept an eye out for her but didn’t see her. I didn’t think anything of it; we didn’t always see each other on the way to school. Besides, I’d get to see her in English, a thought that made my pulse race a little quicker.

When I got to class however, Casen wasn’t there. I frowned at that but tried not to worry about it. She was probably just running late. There were still several minutes to go before the bell rang. I took my seat and tapped my foot, keeping my eye on the door.

The minutes dragged on and the bell rang.

Casen hadn’t showed up yet.

I watched as Mrs. Gibbs shut the door, said something about the assignment for today, and went to the front of the room.

I continued to watch the door, hoping she’d come in any minute now.

Maybe she slept through her alarm?

I almost snorted at the thought. Casen sleep through something? Yeah right. She’d wake up if a pin dropped; something I knew from experience. One night while we were working on an English assignment, she’d been so exhausted she’d fallen asleep on my bed. I’d been as quiet as possible, not wanting to disturb her but I’d shuffled some papers and she’d bolted awake instantly, alarmed.

Casen wouldn’t sleep through her alarm. But maybe she’d forgot to set it.

Somehow, I doubted that too.