Chapter 6

A few hours later, anxiety and fearful curiosity had gotten the better of me and I found myself at the practice football field, half hidden by the metal bleachers.

Instead of going straight home like usual, I’d waited around for Ethan after school until I realized he’d be at football practice and then my feet carried me up here on their own accord. I was still mortified about what I’d done and questions about it kept racing through my head. Was he angry and disgusted at me? Did he even want to be friends with me now?

Had I screwed up my first ever friendship?

I shook my head in attempt to dislodge the thoughts from my head before turning my attention to the football players practicing. They were in two groups, one group wearing black jerseys with red numbers on them; the other group wearing red jerseys with black numbers on them. Honestly, I knew nothing about football but I guess they were going over different tactical maneuvers or whatever they were supposed to be called.

My eyes searched the football players for Ethan. I found him at the front of the group wearing black jerseys. He was wearing a football helmet but I knew it was him by his number, thirty-four. He had his hand on the football, shouting out different things. I heard him shout “Hike!” and the practice game began.Ethan passed the ball to one of his black-jersey teammates and then ran to defend him…or…something.

It was kind of pathetic that I hardly knew anything at all about the sport considering I lived in a town were high school football was a major deal.

My eyes followed Ethan along the field as they played. A few minutes later, he glanced over in my direction and stopped in the middle of the game. A few seconds later, someone from the red-jersey team tackled him.

I squeaked in alarm and covered my mouth, drawing Coach Reen, the head football coach’s attention to me. He frowned at me before looking back as one of the guys helped Ethan to his feet. “Miller, sit out!” he shouted gruffly. Ethan removed his football helmet, shook his head, and headed in my direction.

Part of me wanted to run and hide; the whole team’s attention was focused on me and it made me extremely uncomfortable being in the spotlight.

“Alright, everyone back in position! Restart!” Coach Reen shouted. I sighed in relief when everyone’s attention was diverted.

Thank you, Coach Reen.

I looked back at Ethan, my heart thudding painfully against my ribcage as I waited. I prepared myself for the worst, expecting him to end our friendship.

“Hi…” I mumbled awkwardly when he reached my sort of kind of hiding spot.

“Hi,” He returned, “I’m surprised to see you here. You usually go straight home after school.”

I shifted on my feet nervously. “Well yeah I…I um…”

Ethan chuckled, melting most of my fear away. Surely he wouldn’t be chuckling if he was about to end it? I doubted Ethan was that cruel.

“I’m glad you’re here. I wanted to talk to you about that kiss,” he said.

I swallowed. “I’m so sorry about that,” I mumbled.

Ethan looked confused. “Why are you sorry about it?” he asked.

“I shouldn’t have done it…it was an impulse but I know you don’t – ”

Ethan cut me off by pressing a finger to my lips, his olive green eyes sparkling with amusement. “Hey, calm down. I like you, Casen; I like you a lot. You don’t have to be sorry for a kiss.”

To Write Love On Her Arms (COMPLETE!:)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara