Chapter 3

“Abby!” I shouted, wanting to strangle my sister.

Damn it, why did she always do this?

“God, what?” Abby demanded as she poked her head out of the bathroom, applying some sort of make-up to her face.

Yuck, why do girls insist on applying that gunk to their face? They looked so much better without it.

“We’re going to be late if we don’t get going right now,” I gritted out, trying to leash my temper.

I tried not to lose it with anybody, but there were some moments that my sister really asked for it.

She suddenly smirked. “Correction: You’ll be late. Jerry’s picking me up.”

“Who the hell is Jerry?” I snapped at her, folding my arms over my chest.

“This really hot guy I’ve been hanging out with at school. He offered to give me a ride this morning,” she replied nonchalantly.

“No,” I automatically responded.

“No what?” Abby demanded, putting her hands on her hips.

“No to getting a ride with this Jerry guy,” I said, glancing at my watch.

“But – ”

“No buts, Abby,” I interrupted sternly, “you’re not going to get in a car with a guy I’ve never met. Now put that crap down and get your butt moving. We’re going to be late.”

“Ethan!” she whined in a high pitched voice that made me wince.

“Now what are you two kids arguing about?” Mom asked as she entered the hallway, wiping flour from her hands. My lips twitched in a smile; she had a smudge of batter on her cheek.

“Ethan won’t let me get a ride with a friend!” Abby complained in her best whiny voice that always got her whatever she wanted with Dad. Thankfully, Mom was a more down to earth person and it never worked on her.

“Yeah, a guy friend she barely knows that I haven’t met yet,” I groused.

Mom sighed. “Abby, Honey, I agree with your brother. I don’t think it’s such a good idea either. Give it a few weeks and let your brother meet him. Okay, honey?”

“But I’m wearing heels!”

“Too bad! I’ve told you several times already that you shouldn’t wear them!” I snapped at her. For some reason this morning, my patience was wearing thin and by the expression on my mom’s face I could tell it surprised her. I almost never lost it; it just wasn’t in my nature. Usually.

“I still need to finish putting on my make-up,” Abby protested, jutting out her chin stubbornly.

“Abby…” I growled in a warning tone.

“Okay, okay! I’m done!” she said quickly, holding her hands up in surrender and grabbing her bag.

“Thank you,” I grumbled, “now let’s go.”

“Alright, you two. Don’t kill each other on the way to school you hear?” Mom said as she followed us to the door.

I smiled. “I’ll try, but I can’t make any guarantees,” I said and she laughed. I kissed her on the forehead. “I’ll see you after football practice. Love you.” I started out the door.

“Love you, too, Honey. Have a good day at school!” she called after me before going inside.

Just as I was going down the stairs to catch up to Abby, a shiny red mustang convertible pulled into the drive way.