2.

(Messiah)

Brooklyn texted Messiah for the twentieth time that night and still didn't receive an answer

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Brooklyn texted Messiah for the twentieth time that night and still didn't receive an answer. She sighed and sat her phone on the night stand. Cleo walked out of the master bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist. He sat down at the foot of the bed and ran his hands over his waves.

"You gotta answer?" Cleo asked.

"No." Brooklyn said. "I'm going to go over there tomorrow."

Cleo shook his head. "Nah, you don't need to be doing that. It's too dangerous and you could get hurt."

"That's my friend, CJ." Brooklyn said.

"I know and you're my wife. I refuse to allow you to put yourself in danger like that. Goldy is probably at your head right now because you aimed a gun at him. I'll go." Cleo said.

"And I'm going with you." Brooklyn objected. "We can drop the kids off at my parents' house."

"Brook--"

"I'll wait in the car."

Cleo nodded. "Alright, baby."

Brooklyn's phone vibrated on the night stand. She quickly picked it up, thinking it was Messiah, but it was her older sister Shayla. "Shay wants to know if we can go over for dinner tomorrow."

"Yeah, that's cool. Tell her not to put meat in everything because I don't eat it like that." He said.

Cleo is borderline vegetarian. He eats meat occasionally and the only meat he eats are chicken and fish. He mainly does the grocery shopping and he gets the groceries from a lady in Compton who owns her own market and she grows everything herself. Some people think Cleo goes overboard with all the health stuff, but he just wants what is best for his family and his players as well.

"She knows already, Cleo." Brooklyn said.

Cleo just nodded. He got up from the bed and dropped his towel. He grabbed the shea butter from the dresser and began to rub it into his skin. He walked over to Brooklyn so she could get his back.

"I got this new book for us to read. It was written by an inspired black writer who goes to UCLA." Cleo said.

Every month, Cleo would go out and buy novels for himself and Brooklyn. They would read them and have discussions about them at the end of the month. They both loved to read and they made sure their kids loved to read too. Nicole is in the second grade and is already on a sixth grade reading level and Nigel loved to hear a good book read by his parents or older sister. Cleo also passed the love of reading to Theodore and his other players.

Brooklyn just nodded as if he could see her. She stood on her tippy toes and kissed the back of his neck. She finished rubbing the shea butter in his back then began to take off her night clothes.