Chapter 14: Stormy Nights

With new confidence pounding through her veins, Rose slipped her hands down the hard lines of Austen's stomach and beneath the band of his boxers. Since the night they'd shared after coming back from Marburg, Rose wanted him. Craved him. Wanted to explore him in ways she never explored a man before, to feel every inch of him against her mouth.

As her fingers brushed against his warm skin, his breath hitched. Her stomach fluttered as his arousal pressed against her palm. But before she had the chance to travel further, Austen gripped her hand and pulled it to his lips.

"As much as I enjoy your hands on me," he began, "I don't know how long I'll be able to last."

"I don't mind." She gazed at him through long lashes.

"I do," he replied as he placed soft pecks along her jaw. "I have been dreaming about this from the moment I met you, stranded on the side of the road."

"Why did you stop, anyways?"

"It was just the friendly thing to do," he replied, pressing one long kiss into her palm. "But after meeting you, there was no way I was going to let you go so easily."

Rose pulled her lip between her teeth as a grin stretched across her face. The motion caught Austen's full attention. With something that sounded like a savage moan, he pressed his mouth to her, claiming her in a kiss so sizzling her head spun.

"How about we go upstairs?" she suggested through heavy breaths, her heart pounding in her ears.

"I had something better in mind." Pushing away from her, Austen reached for a wine glass, twirling it in his hand as he handed it to her. "Why don't you grab a sangria while I start a bonfire? I think Kinsley has some muscadine if you prefer that."

"Okay?" Rose watched him through squinted eyes, trying to figure out what the country boy had up his sleeves. She thought she'd made it obvious she was ready to try those firsts he seemed eager to try. Maybe she wasn't aggressive enough in her approach. Did he prefer a woman who took charge? She knew confidence was sexy, but with her nerves buzzing, it was hard to concentrate.

Stepping out to the patio with drink in hand, Rose was hit with another wave of desire. She braced herself against the doorway, watching in silence as Austen stacked the last of the firewood and sent the pit into a fiery blaze. The orange glow created the perfect outline of his tall figure.

Woo boy, the man had a set of arms that were swoon worthy.

Her mind flashed to the memory of his hands on her. As if sensing her dirty thoughts, Austen turned toward her and gestured for her to join him on the blanket and large pillows circling the fire pit.

"Come here," he said.

Her cheeks burned as the rest of her body tingled with anticipation. After a weekend with her friends, Rose decided she'd enjoy every bit of her summer in Briarville. She never considered herself the type of girl to have a fling, but after meeting Austen, she was ready to throw caution to the wind. Rather, with the way Austen was looking at her under hooded eyes, she was ready to throw caution into the fire and watch it burn.

Not willing to let the night remain PG, Rose fell to his lap, straddling her legs over his. "You make a nice bonfire."

"Thank you," he said with a lazy smile. "You have a funny way of enjoying it."

"I thought I'd enjoy something else first." Without waiting for a response, Rose crushed her lips to his.

Austen replied with a rumbling moan and gripped her hips, pressing her core against the stiff ridge of his jeans and showing her exactly what he thought about her eagerness.