Chapter 15

Trust, is something you are granted the day you're born. It's something that you carry for the rest of your life. Well, that's how it's supposed to be. Trust is a luxury you have as a kid, the more you grow the more the trust grows. That is until you lie. A lie is the destroyer of trust, once you lie the trust crumbles and withers away like a dying rose. You can water the rose and try to nurture it but it won't be the same as it was when it first bloomed.

      The rain taps gently on my roof and the thunder howls its mighty call. I lay wide awake in my bed, listening to the rain drops. My thoughts are cloudy and unclear making me helplessly awake. Where are you? I wonder.

       Four days since I talked to Jason, four days since I slept, four days since I have taken a break from looking for my family. I lay in my bed only because my exhaustion tells me too, but sleep seems so far away. Not a single trace of my mother or brother, I've checked phone books, the internet, I've even visited old family friends but nothing.

        I thought about talking to Bruce about it, but I haven't exactly told him about the fact I don't live with them anymore. I'm sure he probably figured it out by now but I don't feel like opening up a new can of worms. I called Peter yesterday, no answer, I left him a voicemail that I need some help but he hasn't called back. Frankly I don't think he will, I mean, why would he? He didn't want anything to do with the investigation on my father, so I think it's safe to say he doesn't want anything to do with my family.

         Then all of a sudden I hear a knock at my door, I look at my clock it's three thirty in the morning. Then I hear the knock again but this time a little louder than the first. I grab a gun out of my end table and cock it, then approach the door slowly. I look through the peep hole and then sigh in relief. I open and the door and say "What the hell are you doing here?"

        "Nice to see you too sunshine," Peter says with a laugh. He had a bag of Chinese food in his left arm and some sodas in his right.

      "You have a lot of nerve showing up here," I snapped, "What? You think you can just walk in and out of my life like that. One day we share our sob stories and then the next, it's like we don't even know each other." Peter clenched his jaw and his eyes wore a coat of regret. His hair was damp from the rain, a dark chocolate color enveloped his hair instead of his usual chestnut color. I leaned on the door frame and yawn. He reads me like a book. First he looks in my eyes, then looks me up and down.

      "When's the last time you've slept," He asked.

      "Last night," I lied. He give me the 'yeah, right' sort of look. I huff out in annoyance, "Fine, four days."

      "That seems more like it," He said with a sad smile.

      "Yeah, well I've been busy," I say as I look down at the floor.

      "That's why I came over, I wanted to help you."

      "Well, I guess you should come in then," I say with a small smile. I lead the way to my kitchen and Peter sets down the food on the table.

     "I got you Chen Mein and some rice," Peter said as he handed me a can of coke.

     "That's actually my favorite," I say happily.

     "No way," Peter said with a smile.

    "I'm not kidding," I laugh.

     "Score for me then," Peter says smugly. We sit down and eat, Peter has the same thing as me. We ate in silence but it was comforting at the same time. Once I finished I let out a satisfying burp, Peter looked up at me and laughed genuinely. I picked up one of the fortune cookies and so does Peter. I open mine and read it.

      "You will find what you are looking for, but you can't do it alone."

      Peter opens his and reads it aloud. "Never give up on someone that you don't go a day without thinking about," then he looks at me for a second and then smiles. We sit there quietly for a moment that dumb fortune cookie was right, I can't do this alone and I'm glad Peter is helping me.

      "I think you should get some sleep," Peter says quietly.

     "But there is so much to do so many places to look. I need to find them, I want to see my family again." I say desperately.

     "I know but you're exhausted. I found out something interesting about where your family might be. We can check it out tomorrow," Peter says reassuringly.

     "Alright," I say with a yawn. I get slowly and walk to the bathroom. I brush my teeth and use the bathroom. Then I walk to my closet and get changed into a loose t shirt and some shorts. I also grab one of my dad's old t shirts that I kept and a pair old sweat pants for Peter. I walk back into the kitchen and hand it to him. He gives me a confused look.

     "What? Weren't you planning on staying here anyways?"

     "Well I guess I am now," Peter said with goofy smile. He walks into the bathroom and shuts the door behind him. I clean up the table and throw away all the trash and rinse off the dishes in the sink. Then I load the dishwater and run a load. Peter came back in wearing the clothes I gave him. I then walk over to my bed and jump in to the mound of comfort. I sit up and look at Peter leaning on the doorframe of my room. His arms are crossed and small grin is displayed on his face.

     "You coming?" I say. Peter then runs and belly flops right on top of me. I let out a shriek of laughter.

     "Get off me," I say playfully.

     "Nope, no can do sunshine," Peter said smugly. I try to push him off but he won't budge. Our faces were inches apart our nose gently touching each other. His green eyes were memorizing, a thousand stories were told in those eyes. A hot blush attacked my cheeks and drowned me in heat.

     "You blushing there sunshine?" Peter said with a smirk.

     "Psshh no", I say in denial.

     "You can deny all you want but I saw a blush," Peter said smugly.

     "I have no idea what you're talking about."

     "It's okay, I think it's pretty cute when a girl blushes."

     "I didn't blush!" I denied.

     "Honesty is always the best policy," Peter lectured.

    "What are we in kindergarten?"

    "I'm just stating simple life facts," Peter says.

    "Ugh, goodnight," I say frustrated. Peter rolls off me and we get under the covers.

    "Night sunshine," Peter chuckles. I close my eyes and try to let my dreams drown out reality.

(A/N) Hello! Sorry this chapter was a little short. I'm updating again in a couple days :) So what do you guys think so far about Elizabeth and Peter? I would love to hear your thoughts!! Don't forget to vote and comment:) -Tess