43 • from bad to worse

Start from the beginning

He sucked his teeth as he walked away, and I laughed for the first time all night.

"I'm gonna go find Blake and see if he'll take me home," I said to India.

I got off the bar stool I was sitting on and when I turned to my left, my eyes landed on Blake and woman he was lip-locked with. It honestly felt like someone hit me in the stomach with a steel bat.

"Alex, what's wrong?" She looked in the same direction I did, and I think I heard her gasp a little. She then looked at me and furrowed her eyebrows when she saw my eyes watering. "Alexandra, don't you dare cry over him."

DJ & I locked eyes for a second, and I shook my head so he wouldn't say anything to Blake. I wiped the unshed tears from my eyes, and India told me she'd take me home.

I wish I'd never came out tonight.

--+--

the next day..

The doorbell rang, and I made sure to take my time answering the door. I knew it was Blake, but I wasn't all that thrilled to see him like I normally was.

"Hey," he said as I let him in. He tried to kiss me, but I turned my head, causing him to look at me funny. "You left without saying anything last night; I needed to talk to you."

I furrowed my eyebrows as I tried to study him. He claims he needed to talk to me, but it sure didn't look like it.

"You're just gonna come here and act like you didn't kiss that woman last night?"

He closed his eyes and cursed under his breath. "Alex, I can —"

I shook my head, not wanting to hear what he had to say. "You don't owe me an explanation, Blake."

I could tell he was confused by how calm I sounded. I wanted to be mad at him, but I wasn't. I was mad at myself for allowing myself to stay in this situation this long.

"I just think you & I need to take a break from each other," I said slowly.

"Wh...Why?"

The look on his face was enough to make me change my mind, but I couldn't do that. I was always weak when it came to Blake but this time, I needed to stay strong.

"We've been doing the same thing for four months, and nothing's changed. If you don't wanna be in a relationship, that's fine, but don't lie to me and say you do when you don't mean it."

He took a step toward me and put his hands on my waist. "But I did mean it."

"Then why are we still in this position?" I asked, looking up into his eyes. I placed my hands on top of his to push them off my waist, but I didn't. "I really like you, Blake, but maybe...we should go back to the way things used to be."

"What do you mean?"

I was hoping he would just understand what I was talking about so I wouldn't have to say it.

"I mean when I was just the trainer and you were just the basketball player," I said, breaking eye contact. "That way you can do whoever & whatever you want without me getting upset."

He lifted my chin so I was looking at him. "But I wanna be with you..."

I honestly wanted to forget all this and give in to him, but I knew nothing would change if I did.

"I think you should go."

He nodded with a sad look in his eyes, then he gave me a kiss before he left.

"Mommy, where is Blake going?" Jaden asked, coming around the corner.

"He's going back home," I replied carefully. "He won't be coming over anymore."

"Why?!" he asked, his voice cracking a little. "Did you break up?"

I nodded slowly, and he frowned then ran outside before Blake got in his car.

•~•~•

Blake's POV:

Before I got in my car, I heard Jaden call my name. I turned around, and he was running toward me, so I squatted down to his level.

"Why are you leaving?"

I looked toward the front door where Alex was standing, then back at him. "I did something kinda bad, and your mom doesn't wanna be friends anymore."

"Did you say sorry?" he asked. "When I'm bad I always tell Mommy sorry."

I chuckled a little. "I tried to, but it didn't work."

His eyes started to water, and I felt bad. I did not want to see a little kid cry.

"Do you have to go?" he asked, his tears finally rolling down his face.

"Yeah." I sighed, and he gave me a hug. "Don't worry, man. I'll see you Saturday when I pick you up for the game."

He lifted his head off my shoulder to look at me and nodded. "Okay."

"Jaden, it's time to come inside," Alex said from the door.

He waved goodbye and sadly walked back into the house. After Alex closed the door, I got in my car and drove home.

I couldn't believe I ruined things with Alex. More importantly, I couldn't believe my dad was right. I knew she'd get tired of everything, but I thought the relationship would've changed before that happened.

I know Alex said she wanted to take a break, but I couldn't do that. I love her too much to just walk away.

_____________________________

Do you agree that they need a break from each other? Yes? No?