2nd- Interview

2nd- Interview

"The new neighbors," Mom repeated, putting her bag down on the couch. "They're moving in today, and I wanted to make food for them."

"New neighbors? But wasn't Mr. Walter living there?" I asked her.

Mr. Walter was a kind old man who lived alone after his wife died and his children moved away after getting married and having their own family. He often bakes cookiesㅡdelicious cookies, may I addㅡfor me when he's feeling bored and I really appreciate them. It's like I can actually live a normal, quiet life when he's around.

Mom's face turned grim when she heard me mention Mr. Walter, which made me feel anxious, somehow. "Natalie..."

"Don't tell me." I stopped her from speaking, taking a step back, feeling tears suddenly take over my eyes. I had my assumptions on what she was going to say but I didn't want her to confirm them. Not now.

"Natalie, listen first," she quietly told me, holding onto my hand.

"No... it can't be..." I tried denying all the facts. I've noticed a few things that has happened over the past months, but I didn't want to let them surround my mind.

"Natalie! He's gone," she told me. Her voice was shaking and I could hear it. "He's gone, Natalie. He died two weeks ago."

I slipped a step back. "W-what? How? Why am I only knowing this now?"

"He was admitted to the hospital three days before his death for a few treatments and on the day itself..." Mom didn't finish her sentence and only shook her head. "I'm sorry, Natalie. I know you liked him very much."

Taking a step back, I just shook my head and ran up to my room, where I shut and locked the door. Taking a deep, sharp breath, I sat down on my swivel chair and took out my blue notebook once again to write.

Have you ever wondered what you would be without that someone? It doesn't matter who; just someone who matters enough that when they're gone, it would feel as if they took a part of you with them so now you're left empty.

I'm afraid sometimes. We often love someone too much, care and adore them too, but sometimes, they just... go. Without notice, without another whisper to say goodbye. And then you're left dumbfounded. Stuck. Unable to continue because it felt as if you hit the brakes to your journey.

Going back to imagining what you'd be if they were gone. Well, in this case, he wouldn't worry about anything. All his problems, his grieves, they're all gone. He doesn't have to worry about anything and or anyone. Even the feelings of the people he left wouldn't worry him.

If I were to compare it to a different situation... who should I think of first?

Let's pretend my dear friend Bradley left me. He's a good friend of mine and he's close enough for me to care if he left.

If he left, I would be devastated. But at the same time, it wouldn't matter because I would still go on with life, just without him. For the first few days, I'd be distraught; thoughts of him will continue to play in my mind and slowly, but surely, I'd eventually forget about him. I'd forget about his favourite colour. I'd forget the fact he really liked to listen to jazz music and tell me to try it out. I'd even forget the fact he ever confessed to his crush in a bear mascot costume once. I'd forget all of that, eventually.

People will leave our lives because better people will take their spots and fill it up for us. To make our life better, even when we know it's okay now.

By the time I was done, I felt some parts of the notebook and noticed they were wet. It took me a few more seconds before I realized I was crying, something I didn't do often. I've always been able to hold in the tears. Even when I feel like my family might fall apart, I do my best to act like everything's okay.