Chapter 1- Paper Planes Fly

1st · Paper Planes Fly

Their voices were so loud. I didn't know whether I could go another day listening to them like that. Sometimes I just wished I could be like a birdㅡleave whenever I want to. But I can't. Because I'm the type who doesn't give up on people I love. At least, I think so.

I sat back and looked out of the rooftop, feeling the wind play with my hair. Once again, I folded the piece of paper into a paper plane and let it fly down gently, not caring about who would receive the paper plane. This was one of my strange habits, if you could call it one. For all I knew, they would probably toss it away in a dust bin because apparently, no one cared about a paper plane suddenly making an appearance on the floor from high up in the skies.

I sighed and leaned against the wall on the rooftop. It was just as tall as my waist and I was once mistaken of 'committing suicide' because one day, I decided to come up here and relax. Everyone misunderstood and pointed me out as a crazy girl. I almost got sent to a mental hospital by my parents because of it.

So I guess that was why people didn't pick up my paper planes. They either don't care about them that much or they knew I wrote them, so they don't want to bother with what goes on in a crazy girl's head. Either way, I was glad enough they didn't read them and question me about my life.

I'd been doing this since my sophomore year up until my senior year, which means now. So all those problems started around then and hasn't stopped. Sounds like a fun life to live in, huh?

At least, even with these problems I can't speak of or tell anyone to, I'm well aware of myself. That I shouldn't change myself just because my life isn't given in a pretty little package.

The bell rang and I instantly picked up my blue notebook and walked up to the big iron door. I think, at least, it was made of iron. I was never sure.

I could easily hear the loud chattering of students coming from downstairs. I ended up smiling a small smile. Ever since the incident of me supposedly committing suicide, people started to avoid me. I didn't mind that much but it somehow netted its way to one of my papers of problems. Thus, I let it fly away along with my care of it.

Maybe that's why I do this. While people write their feelings down on a piece of paper and crumpled it or threw it away, I wrote it down on a piece of paper to let it fly away as a paper plane. So that my care about itㅡthe paper and the problems, my feelingsㅡwould fly away like it's supposed to.

Not wanting to be late, I hurriedly opened the door and rushed downstairs, blending in with the crowd of people. I wasn't easily spotted, but those near me or actually look up to see would easily realize it was me. I knew what they did when I'm not listeningㅡthey talk. And it's not a pleasant talk, let me tell you that. Either that or they ignore me. It's always one of those two.

I heard murmuring behind me and tried my best to block them out of my ears. But sometimes, it wasn't as easy as you thought it'd be. Sometimes you have to fake a smile in order finally let yourself smile one day. A real smile, at that.

Once I was seated in class, I tried my best to hold everything in and act like I didn't care. At least I still had a few friends who wouldn't talk about ludicrous rumours that broke out two years ago. Some things just don't get old.

"Have you done your History homework?" Britney, a blonde girl who sat in front of me and was close enough for me to call my friend, asked, turning around. Then she asked in a lower voice, "Were you up there again?"

"Yes and yes," I answered, clutching onto my blue notebook tightly. "If they continue mistreating me and misunderstanding, I might actually commit suicide."