Behind Closed Doors

Start from the beginning

I don't know whether or not to cover for River and whatever lies he's been telling, so I stick to honesty and hope I don't regret it later.

"He's not sick." I say. "He's barely even been home."

Iris' face lights up as if she'd had a light bulb above her head. Then, her face drops into a grimace.

"I see what's going on here." Iris says, and then turns to Phil. "Can Carmen and I have a moment?"

Phil gets up and nods, heading towards the door.

"I have a meeting to be at in an hour that I should head to." He answers. "I'll see you later. Also, Carmen, can you be sure to tell River I need to know that he really wants this role?"

I feel sick but I nod to him and mumble a small goodbye.

Once he leaves, I can feel Iris's wrath growing throughout the air.

She looks at me.

"Please tell me you understand and I don't need to explain it." She says.

"Explain what?" I question.

She sits down and crosses her legs; I stand across from her.

"He's telling you that he's going to meetings and then cancelling them, but clearly, he's going somewhere. Where do you think he's going?" She asks me.

I knew what she meant; the theory of River's using was in full force in her mind. I could see it on her face.

"Okay." I say, ultimately giving up. "I get it. You're probably right."

She shakes her head.

"This is the type of thing that I'm talking about." She starts. "We already know that he's taking drugs, and that already breaks his side of the contract. I'm on thin ice with this, Carmen. He's practically unemployable."

I sit next to her.

"I know." I say.

"Something needs to be done." She tells me, demand in her voice.

To me, there was nothing we could do. After all the countless discussions River and I had about his drug use, nothing ever seemed to make an impression.

It was only a matter of time until the River we once knew was no longer there, and it was clear to me now that time was running out.

Iris and I sit in a long silence. It feels as if we have submerged our heads in a bucket of thick tension for hours on end.

Then, she looks to me.

"I have an idea." She tells me. "You aren't going to like it, but if you love him, it needs to be done."

I shake my head in disapproval.

"No," I say. "If you already think I'm going to hate it, then it's out of the question."

She stands up and looks around the room.

"Look at this place." She starts. "It's a mess. This room is a physical image of what River has become; a mess. He's been lying to all of us and sneaking around. Doesn't that make you mad?"