A Soldier Falls in the Forest...

I hit the ground with a very hard thud. I sat up, groaning, rubbing my forehead. Where was I? I looked around darkness. The sky was dark and flecks of light littered it. Stars. My eyes adjusted to the darkness and I saw trees, though it took a moment for me to realize what it was. I’d never seen one. Had I? I furrowed my brow, knitting my eyebrows tightly together as I forced my aching limbs off of the dirt floor below me. I stretched out, enjoying the feeling of loosening my tight muscles. I wondered how they’d become so tight, because I didn’t remember doing anything strenuous…

            Come to think of it, I couldn’t remember anything at all.

           At the fact that my mind had been wiped clean, my eyes went wide. I looked around the forest where I was standing, looking for some sign of life, any sign of life at all. Maybe if I could find one, they could fill me in. I had no idea what was wrong with me, nor could I remember why I couldn’t remember. I stood there, dizzied at the thought. I needed to figure something out. I took a deep breath of oxygen, trying to remember. I tried to come up with something, anything, but I couldn’t get anything. I decided to go through a list to maybe remember.

            Name: Nothing

            Age: Nothing

            Occupation: Nothing.

            Education: Nothing

            Family: Nothing

            Friends: Nothing

            Enemies: Nothing

            Childhood memories: Nothing

            Planet from which I’d originated: Nothing.

            I couldn’t remember a single thing.

            I couldn’t remember what year it was, I couldn’t remember the names of any planets, if there were any. Well, of course there were planets, but I couldn’t remember them. I didn’t know where I was standing, which one of those planets. I didn’t know what my beliefs were, I didn’t know what I stood for, I didn’t know who my friends were, I didn’t know who my enemies were. I frantically pressed my hands against my forehead, my breathing heavy, frightened by my lost identity.

            I decided that I needed to start walking. I needed to get to civilization. I took a deep breath and forced my slightly aching muscles to move as I headed to the right. I assumed that I could go any way I chose and I’d reach civilization eventually. At least, that was what I had hoped. I trotted down a small path and hoped for the best, knowing that if I didn’t reach civilization, it’d end in my demise.

            Finally, after about an hour of walking, I made it somewhere. I made it to a small, gray slab of some unrecognizable substance. I stared at it for a moment, and then I remembered what it was. Asphalt. This was a road. I didn’t know how I was getting these small flecks of memory, but I was most certainly grateful for them. I stepped onto the road and looked around for signs of civilization, though, aside from the poorly-created asphalt road, there was none. I looked down and I decided that t looked like it was years old, worn over the years of being driven on. I didn’t recognize it, but, of course, I didn’t recognize anything and everything seemed so foreign, so distant. It scared me, and I could already tell that I really didn’t like the feeling of fear, of terror. I didn’t want to be alone, not anymore.

            Suddenly, I was blinded by a pair of bright yellow lights. I gasped and leaped out of the way of the demon beast that was charging at me. Though I was able to evade the main attack, my ankle and foot were run over, causing the beast to swerve and a pained shriek to escape my lips. I scooted out of the road and turned back to my attacker. I realized that it was a car, though I wasn’t sure HOW I realized that it was a car. I’d never seen one like it, or I didn’t remember seeing one like it. I took a deep breath and coiled in my leg as it screamed in pain from the attack of the vehicle.