34| 12 Grimmauld Place

Start from the beginning

"They're after you, mate. I'm sure everyone's fine and moved the wedding underground. You can't go back, or you'll be putting everyone in more danger."

"So then where do we go from here?" I asked. "The Leaky Cauldron?"

"It's too dangerous," Hermione shook her head. My eyes dropped to the cappuccinos the waitress appeared with, setting them down in front of us. Hermione reached out, warming her hands on the steaming cup. I did the same.

"Oh, no," Harry hung his head.

"What is it?" I asked.

"My rucksack with all my things. I've left it at the Burrow."

Hermione pursed her lips, shaking her head softly as the the door swung open, bell tinkling. Two men walked in, walking straight towards the register.. "Um. . ." she pulled her small purse towards her.

Harry's eyes widened again, staring at the purse. "No way. You're joking."

"I've been planning this for weeks, just in case. I come well prepared."

"I can tell," I nodded in agreement, in awe.

My left arm started to throb.

I swallowed, and suddenly the cafe began to grow hotter. A bead of sweat trickled down my temple.

"Elvira, you alright?" Hermione asked, narrowing her eyes. I was glad to see they weren't suspecting; guarded. They were genuinely worried this time.

"I don't . . . I don't feel too well." I reached down to sip my coffee, which Ron nearly gagged over. It was bitter, but sweet. Tingly. Unlike butterbeer, which tasted like ambrosia compared to this.

"How do muggles drink this stuff?" he said in disgust, pushing it away. My heart nearly beat out of my chest.

I looked over Ron's shoulder. One of the men's hand slid to his pocket. "Guys, I think those men are-"

"Get down!" Harry grabbed my shoulder, pushing me under the table. The two men whipped out their wands, pointing them at our table. Everything exploded around us. Harry pointed his wand from under the table, shouting, "Expelliarmus!"

They jumped behind the counter. The shelves crashed to the ground, glass shattering. They were fighting silently, now, without moving their lips. A red stream of light exploded near my head, nearly ripping off my ear. I jumped up from behind the chair.

"Petrificus Totalus!"

A jar slammed against one of their heads, knocking him to the ground. I rolled out from behind the chair as Ron and Hermione jumped up, shooting jets of red and blue light.

I recognized one of them. Dolohov. The tattoo on my arm seared as I pointed my wand again. "Confringo!" Glass exploded, cutting through their skin. I shielded my eyes as stray bits flew towards us, coughing on the debris and dust floating in the air.

Silence.

I lay on my stomach, turning my head to see Ron who inched up, peering to check if the coast was clear.

A green jet of light burst towards him.

"Protego!" Hermione shielded him, and in turn, shot a spell that bound the remaining Death Eater's arms and legs together. Swallowing, I got to my feet, brushing strands of loose hair behind my ears.

Slowly, the four of us made our way behind the counter. Suddenly the Employee's Only door swung open. The waitress froze, staring at us, horrified.

"Go," I said harshly. "Get out of here. Now."

She didn't need to be told twice. She spun around, running for her life. Ron lifted the deluminator, shutting off all the lights. Hermione brought down the blinds.