18| Hidden Reasons

How's school, Elvira? Are you doing well in your classes? We miss you loads since we didn't get a chance to see you over the break, but we're glad you were with Harry and his friends.

We hope you aren't getting into any trouble. Focus on your work. We're looking forward to seeing you soon.

All the love,
Mum and Dad

Setting down the letter, I stretched my back, scooting into the wooden chair. "We hop you aren't getting into any trouble," I read out loud. Hah! It was a little too late for that.

I pulled out an empty piece of parchment, setting it down and dipping my quill in ink to start a reply, when suddenly, the paper was snatched up.

"What are you doing?" Malfoy drawled. I spun around.

"May I please have that back?" I stood up.

"Writing to Mummy and Daddy?" He smirked. "Stay out of trouble? Oh, they should see their daughter now, siding with the Dark Lord . . ."

"Shut up, Malfoy. Don't say that out loud."

"You're not even denying it anymore. You're a right fool, Steele," he said with a shake of his head. I stood on the chair, grabbing the letter from his hands. "What are you going to say," he asked, following it with his eyes, "I've actually been hanging around Draco Malfoy, the boy you hate?"

"They don't hate you, specifically-"

"Right. My parents."

"Your family, yes, because your father is a Death Eater."

Malfoy scowled. "You don't even know what you're getting yourself into. You've got perfect parents, a happy life. Honestly, what are you even doing?"

"I don't know." I ran a hand through my dark hair, realizing the curls were a mess. I pressed them against my face. "Can I just be left alone?" I sat back down. He was silent, and then pulled up a chair beside me.

"Are you right in the head?"

"Malfoy, get lost!"

He grinned. "So easy to tease," he tutted. "It'll never not be fun."

"Don't you have better things to worry about?" I turned, pressing my shoe against his chair. I pushed hard, the wooden legs screeching against the floor as he moved away.

"Not really. That's why I'm here."

"Have you given up on the Cabinet?"

"Not yet."

"I don't wish to talk to you."

"I don't care about your wishes. I can't sleep."

"I don't care," I shot back, reverting my attention to my letter. Where was I?

Dear Mum and Dad,

I miss you too. I have been staying out of trouble-

My pen slipped as Malfoy threw his head back, letting out a laugh. "You're lying to your parents?"

"You ruined my letter! Now I'll have to start over again," I groaned. "Could you get lost, please?"

Malfoy took out his hawthorn wand. "Scourgify."

"It doesn't work like tha-oh." As it turned out, it did work like that. The giant inkblot disappeared. "Thank you," I mumbled, "but why are you still here?"

"When you said you would help me," he said, tapping his fingers against the desk, "does that mean you're willing to get the dark mark?" This time, as I dipped my quill in the ink, I missed and knocked over the entire bottle. Black liquid ran down the table, dripping onto my robes and destroying both my letter and the one from my parents.