3. emerald eyes and blackmail

Start from the beginning

"How much do you know, and how the hell did you get it?"

I raised an eyebrow, deciding that pacing around the room would be the best way to maintain my cool. It was large, and the king bed was covered in a glamorous silk cover.

"I think I'm the one who should be asking the questions here."

"What are you, a cop?"' he scoffed. "Chances are your business is as dirty as mine, Whittaker."

"I never said it wasn't dirty." I smiled.

He muttered something under his breath, revealing how pissed he was growing. "How much?"

"Pardon?"

"How much for you to forget about whatever you know."

It was a shame money had little value to me. Not when I was seeking something of a different currency. "It's not money I'm after."

"Then what is it?"

I had to say, pissed off was a good look for William. In any other circumstances my legs would be jelly, and my hormones going haywire. But, instead, all I felt was the rage that grew when I recalled every memory from last year.

"I want a favor," I said. "A big one."

I decided to place myself on the bed, orientated so I could get a full view of the position where William stood with his arms folded across his chest.

"I need you to get me into the in crowd. Arlington's elite."

A laugh protruded uncontrollably from his mouth. "You want popularity? So pretty rich-girl wants popularity. Just as shallow as I thought."

I cocked my head. The more he tried to make me feel stupid and small, the angrier I grew. "I have my reasons, Bishop, and I assure you they aren't shallow."

"Enlighten me," he said, pacing in front of me. "What are your reasons?"

"None of your concern," I said smoothly. "But if you want your father's sneaky business to stay away from the media's knowledge, you'll find a way for me to get in."

Suddenly, it was as if there was a crackle of lightening as William swiveled to face me, grabbing my wrist and pulling me up to my feet. My arms burned with the contact, and for a moment my demeanor broke as I saw the rage encompassed in his face.

I scowled, keeping my confidence as I pulled my arm from his grip.

"How the fuck did you find out anything?" he asked, the volume of his voice growing.

"I have my way-"

"Any more of this mysterious bullshit and I promise you I won't do anything for you," he said in a cool, menacing voice. Still, even in his anger, William projected a haunting charisma as his face grew closer to mine.

"I had access to documents on a data base that only I could hack into. Don't worry, I assure you they're kept safe," I said with venom as I met his gaze.

"You're using multi-million dollar business scandals to fuel your petty high school delusions." The way William scowled made my blood run cold. "There's more."

"So you admit your business is dirty," I pushed. "You've got to make sure it's kept hidden."

"My father's business is dirty," he said. "Would you rather I pulled him into this?"

I froze. The last thing I wanted was for this to escalate anywhere above the level of William and I. Also, as much as he bothered me, I couldn't have my father getting in trouble for his security slip. "It wouldn't be difficult, you know. What I'm asking. I'm sure you'd rather prefer leaving daddy Bishop out of this."

He paused, his emerald eyes simmering in calculation. "So you don't want money. You want popularity"

My chest rose as I took in a deep breath. Was this progress? I'd never predicted it to be easy, but this was draining me. "Yes."

He didn't laugh, he didn't even falter from his guarded expression. "Give me one reason I should. And not just because you're blackmailing me."

I tried to sort through my mind for a reason I could use to persuade him. But the proximity between us was starting to make me dizzy. Sitting down again would give him the upper hand, and stepping backwards was out of the question. In a split-second decision I took a step even closer, looking him dead in the eye.

"Because you can trust me." God, why did I just say that?

"Trust you?" he said, his breath cool as it fluttered onto my lips. "I can trust the girl who's blackmailing me?"

"Like I said, I have my reasons. If that means a few sacrifices for the greater cause, so be it."

He tilted his head even closer, so close that goosebumps arose on the back of my neck. "I'll do it." His lips passed mine and made their way to my ear, his body grazing against mine in a way that made my chest pound in anxiety. "But just know that I'm not anyone's sacrifice."