Chapter 18

(Catchup)

"Brad, I'm gonna ask again. Did you get with me for a bet?"  I ask again.

*********************

"Katie, I'm sorry I-"  Brad says, but I've had enough. "How could I let myself be hurt again?"  I say standing up, grab my bag and running out of the restaurant. I run around the corner and see a bench. Before I know what I'm doing I sit down and cry. I just sit there whilst my makeup runs down my face and my head in my hands. I hear footsteps coming towards me, then they stop. I feel a presence beside me. I feel a hand on my back, trying to reassure me.

"Katie, Katie it's okay."  I hear the voice say. It's not Brad, it's Connor. "No it's not! It's messed up. Brad's broken my heart... again and I've been stupid. Brad never really loved me, if he did he wouldn't have hurt me again!"  I shout. "Don't say that. Brad worships the ground you walk on. He's in love with you and always has been."  Connor says trying to reassure me. "If he loved me, he would be here trying to get me back. But he's not, you're here comforting me Con. You, not him."  I say breaking down in tears. Connor embraces me in a hug and I cry into him. "He didn't say he did it."  Con points out. "But he didn't deny it either."  I say crying. "Katie, it's okay. Everything's going to be okay. You and Brad are meant to be together. You'll work it out."  Connor says. "You don't get it Con, me and Brad we're done. I can't risk getting hurt again. I've been hurt enough, and not just by him. First Brad cheats, then I loose Amelia, then I get a new boyfriend that uses me as a punch bag, and finally I find out Brad is only going out with me for a bet. I need to get away. I've got relatives in Canada, I can stay with them for a few months."  I say wiping away the tears from my face.

"Er, excuse me. You're not going anywhere. I can't loose my 'little sister' again. You'll bounce back, I know you will."  Connor says making me laugh a little.

Connor's P.O.V

"You don't get it Con, me and Brad we're done. I can't risk getting hurt again. I've been hurt enough, and not just by him. First Brad cheats, then I loose Amelia, then I get a new boyfriend that uses me as a punch bag, and finally I find out Brad is only going out with me for a bet. I need to get away. I've got relatives in Canada, I can stay with them for a few months."  Katie says wiping away the tears from her face. I can't let Katie leave again, she's like a little sister to me. " Er, excuse me. You're not going anywhere . I can't loose my 'little sister' again. You'll bounce back, I know you will."  I say making her laugh a little.

"Are you gonna come back in? There's half a plate of fish and chips with your name on it."  I ask looking down at her. "No, I'm gonna go back home and eat ice cream and watch sad rom-coms."  She says standing up. She opens her bag and brings out her purse. She takes out a £10 and holds it out for me to take. "What's this for?"  I ask confused. "For my meal."  She says as if it was really obvious. "No, it's fine. The boys and I were gonna split the bill."  I say shaking my head. "At least let me pay for my meal."  Katie says determined. "No, I won't have it."  I say pushing her hand away gently. She puts the money back in her purse and drops it in her bag. "I'll drive you home."  I say standing up. "No, I'll be fine Con."  She says back. "You sure?"  I ask worried. "Yeah, I'll be fine honest."  She says with a small smile. "Okay, if you're sure."  I say. She just nods her head. I hold my arms out and she accepts. I hold her tight the the hug ends. She walks off and I turn to go back into the restaurant when I hear my name. Katie walks back over and unclips the locket she got from Brad. "Tell him to give it to someone he really loves."  She says handing it to me.