» chapter 20 «

Alaric walks into the parlor, with a smile on his face when he sees Evie and sits in a chair.

"Thanks for coming, Ric. Can I get you something to drink? Coffee, bourbon? Bourbon in your coffee?" Damon asks as he handed Evie a mixture of blood and coffee.

Damon sits beside her and Evie crawls into his lap, curling up into his chest.

"Elena mentioned you needed my help."

"Yeah, we were hoping you could help shed some light on the Lockwood family," Stefan states, walking into the room with Elena and rolling his eyes when he sees Evie and Damon's position.

Alaric scoffs, "Now, why would I know anything about the Lockwoods?"

Damon smirked at him, "Well, you wouldn't. But your dead, not-dead vampire wife might."

"Isobel's research from when you guys were at Duke together," Elena clarifies as Evie takes a sip of her blood coffee.

"You said that she had spent years researching this town," Stefan adds.

Alaric sighed, "Isobel's research here in Mystic Falls rooted in folklores and legends but at the time I thought much of which was fiction."

Damon smirked cockily at him, "Like that amazing vampire story."

Elena sent Damon a glare before looking back at Alaric. "Aside from vampires, what else?"

"The lycanthrope."

Elena's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Wait, like werewolves?"

Evie scoffed, picking her head up from Damon's lap to look at her. "No way, impossible, way too Lon Chaney."

Stefan cocked an eyebrow at her. "Is it?"

"I've been on this planet one hundred and sixty some odd years, never came across one. If werewolves exist, where the hell are they?" Evie asked.

"Why do you suspect the Lockwoods?" Alaric asks them.

"Because vervain didn't affect the mayor at Founders' Day but the Gilbert device did and it affected his son Tyler," Damon explains.

"And at the school carnival his uncle Mason exhibited inhuman behavior when he fought with one of the carnival's workers," Stefan adds.

"It suggests it's some sort of a supernatural entity," Stefan finished.

"We were hoping that Isobel's research could help us figure it out what it is," Elena says.

"Well, all her things are still at Duke. I mean her office is still there. She's technically still missing," Alaric states with a sigh.

"So can we get access to it?" Damon asked hopeful.

"Alaric, we need to know what we are dealing with. If this wolfman thing is true, I've seen enough movies to know it's not good," Evie told him.

"It means Mason Lockwood is a real-life Lon Chaney and that little Tyler punk may just very well be Lon Chaney junior, which means Bella Lugosi, meaning me, is totally screwed," Damon smirks.