29- Don't Walk In On Santa

GIF similar to Alec
SONG Change, BANKS

I woke up to a raging fever, and Alec was still here. Except now standing isolated. Along with Wes, who was sitting next to me on my bed. Hopefully he just ignored the fact that I invited Alec inside. Keziah wasn't home right now, and she hadn't checked up on me yet. No happy family Christmas this year I'm guessing. It wouldn't feel the same anyway.

I was asleep by the time she got home last night and continued to sleep until she was gone. My door was locked-- preferable, wouldn't want Jax to walk in on me with two guys. That's all she would care about anyway of my situation, and taunt me for it.

My neck and body, still sore, accompanied the fever. I felt around my sore neck, and the bite marks weren't there anymore. I told them what happened, who happened, and how it happened. I'm also still half naked under my sheets.

"Who the hell is Jac Hagen? Do you know him? Seems like you could be related," Wesley scolded forwarding the question to Alec.

He did not like him.

"No idea who he is actually," Alec rolled his eyes trying to keep his cool.

"And we still have no idea why your blood didn't work to heal. Now, she's getting sick."

"You're lucky I even tried helping. Not like you could do anything," Alec's words also turned harsh.

"Stop! It could be that I'm... just different," I managed to say in the middle of their back-and-forth argument.

I remembered my parents talking about my safety, and who I really was. Who was I really? How could I be anything but human? I would never be anything extraordinary. Before they could argue any more, there was a clash... and I think it was their car. The car accident. That means they were arguing about me before the car swerved, and they died. Hot tears were preparing to add to the burning on my feverish cheeks. I pulled the covers over my head.

"I caused it," I softly said under my breath repeatedly. "I caused it. I caused it."

"What is she talking about?" Alec's voice was muffled by my sheets.

"What is it, Adair?" I heard Wes.

I took a moment before wiping the tear I let loose, and raised my head from under the blanket once I heard a knock on the door downstairs.

"You guys should really leave now," I suggested.

Wes searched my eyes and nodded once slowly in understanding- which he always was- even though he was giving off a pissed aura. Alec looked at him in confusion but quickly realized it wouldn't even be his choice. They followed one another out of my bedroom window that pointed to the side of the house, because I wouldn't want whomever was at the door to have questions. When I was sure they were gone, I shut the shades of the window and got dressed. The person at the door would have to wait just a little bit thanks to my zombie-like state.

After I slipped on a tank top and sweatpants, also fuzzy socks, I dizzily headed downstairs. Whoever it is must be very patient; I gather this from the multiple knocks pounding the door. When I opened it, I saw Verity in her 'NC' hoodie and jeans. Verity's black hair is usually clean-straight, so the wind must've really gotten to her for it to be all over the place.

"Merry Christmas, make a girl wait forever in the cold will you!" Verity threw her hands in the air and looked at me wide eyed with her green eyes staring into my soul. Crazy teenager.

I didn't even take that long.

She pushed past me and into the house, directing herself toward the electric fireplace.

"Ohhhhh nice and toasty," she said while plopping her tush onto the sofa and throwing her hoodie off; revealing a plain white t-shirt.

I shut the door; blocking off the cold air; and followed her straight into the living room where she already started making herself at home. She patted the space next to her, inviting me to sit there. Not like I had a choice.

"So, you need to tell me about last night. You looked exhausted, and you were standing next to those two beautiful men! One of them was Wesley Vex from school. If they did something to you, I will castrate them Adair."

"They're my friends... nothing happened. I just felt like I was coming down with something, and I did because this morning I woke up with a cold."

"Since when were you friends with him?" Verity inquired.

Rightnobody knew about him and I but Aurora, sort of.

"Well we're bio partners, so we just decided to hang out," I answered, hoping she'll leave it at that.

Lies on top of lies.

I can tell she thought it was a strange thing, but I'll stick to that explanation.

Verity shrugged and grabbed the remote from the coffee table, turning the flat screen TV above the fireplace on. She switched the channel from HGTV, one of my favorites, to MTV. The channel was having a Teen Wolf marathon. How ironic.

As much as I love Teen Wolf, I couldn't focus on the screen. So I decided to make more conversation.

"How are you doing lately?" I asked her sincerely.

Together, Verity and I give a perfect definition of teen angst. Surprisingly, we find it easy to open up to each other. I say surprisingly because we both have a hard time trusting people. My parents died, her step-dad died. My parents' death was said to be an accident, while her step dad was murdered. Her real dad was only involved in her life until she was about three years old. Now we, including everybody who knew her, have lost Sage. Our good friend.

I've told her how much I can't stand voices sometimes; the slightest talk sets me off. I don't know why. Verity understands. Keziah has it hard now. She can only communicate with me if I'm open to it, or else I'd otherwise accidentally give 'the silent treatment'. I am trying to bear with her. We've been doing okay the past few weeks. She talks, I answer; most times. She laughs, I chuckle along. Wesley has made a positive impact on my mood. Ever since he came into my life, even when I found out what he was, things have been a little bit okay. I should be scared of him—and his worldbut I'm not...