24- As Beautiful As You

SONG Light, ODESZA

We're now simply hanging out in his greenhouse, with the cold weather.

I admired the thin gold ring for a long minute. The opal is the shape of a teardrop, gleaming in the sun. It seems like a normal ring, but it secretly ensures my safety. Though I'm not sure I truly need it. But better to be safe than sorry. He brought me here because he grew more aconite flower. I'll be able to somehow protect my loved ones from a distance. A silver ring with a circle opal for Keziah; tight locket necklace for Jax; and bracelets for Aurora, Conall, and Verity. The bracelets have charms, which one charm would have an aconite flower piece stuck inside.

The smell of the greenhouse is purely organic. The smell of rich nature and earth makes its way right to the lungs.

"There's a variety of plants here for different uses. We sometimes grow vegetables to sell, to help pay for stuff. When we first saw the house, Grace was stuck on having it. She somehow compelled her way to getting it. This place would be a witch's frenzy. There's Amaranth, Amber, Acacia, the Aconite, Centaury, Chervil, Guinea Peppers, Indigo Weed, Knotweed, Musk, Peony, Pink Root, Rue, Sage, Sow Thistle, Verbena, and Yew. I know, it's a lot. Vampires can't get to these because they can't pass the threshold, but humans can. And half humans like werewolves."

"How do you guys keep others like you behind the threshold if no human lives here?"

"The deed is in a human's name, they just don't live inside of the home. When Grace got the house, she made sure of that. I don't even know who really owns it."

"She really gets what she wants, huh. I admire that." I grinned. "What if a witch ever gets their hands on these herbs? They aren't protected right?"

"I haven't known of any witch in years, they've gone into hiding. Their kind would never be respected by normal people. And nobody knows about what we have back here, only me and Grace. Now you."

I nodded.

"Also in case you were wondering, witches can be bad or good. It depends on who they truly are. Not many people would be able to handle a significant amount of power, let alone magic. So most witches out there, I guess, would use their power for no good."

The Witch Trials wasn't just mass hysteria?

"Are you cold?" He asked.

"Yeah, but it's okay. I have my jacket."

"Alright. Want to check out the rest of the yard?"

"Definitely." We started walking through the landscape. "How many acres?"

"Including the house it is five acres."

"Woah."

When you first exit the house to the backyard, there's a patio with a fire pit and furniture. The lawn is clean-cut and normally green with shady trees. Stones on the ground act as a pathway to different areas. The path continues from a pond surrounded by flowers to an area that has overhead trees with hedges adjoining a large circular pavement surrounding a fountain.

However, all of this is at least covered with snow and four feet deep in it.

"It's beautiful," I told him.

He pulled me to him. "Like you? I know."

I laughed out loud.

"Wow you are good with the ladies!"

"The only lady I want is you."

He picked me up by my waist and sped us to the garden fountain. He let me back onto my feet and stroked a strand of my hair.

Still a little dizzy from the speed, "This is too unrealistic. It's all too perfect. How can you even exist?"

I thought for a moment that maybe I'd wake up strapped to an institution bed.

"I thank my vampirism only for the reason that I'm able to be in this time with you."

I dropped to the floor.