20- How Did This Happen

IMAGE similar to Jerome Smith (Christian Akridge)
SONG Fire breather, Laurel

He didn't run away.

He sat me on the toilet and kneeled, lifting my leg.

"How did this happen? Who did this?"

He started finding different disinfectants from my cabinets and putting them on the wound.

"Mmph," I grunted. "There were these werewolves, they were after Mishu-- wanting him to join their pack--"

"A werewolf pack?"

"They attacked us at a Halloween party. The alpha was this man named Javier and he was the one that bit me."

"They exposed themselves to humans.. it doesn't make sense. For one boy? Why would he want to turn you into one of them?" He was asking himself rhetorically.

The bite started mending itself, and my teeth were shrinking back to their normal length.

I stood up, shocked, and went to the mirror. My eyes were still glowing. It was like the sky was trapped inside of them. Almost like Wesley's. But brighter. I turned to him and he had the same look on his face as I did. But his expression turned more confused.

"Your...eyes."

I took a glance back at the mirror and they were their usual light brown again. There was no trace of what happened to me in the last few hours.

"What just--"

"It rejected. I've never seen anything like this happen before."

The both of us were stunned, and curious.

"I don't think it was the disinfectant..."

He almost laughed when I said that, but he stopped himself before the laugh made its way out of his mouth. He looked more scared than I was.

"Adair! You home?" Keziah called from downstairs after shutting the front door.

We both looked at each other.

"Yeah!" I answered.

"Should I go?" He asked me whispering.

"Probably, yeah."

He cupped my cheek. We stared into each other for a few seconds before and gave me a warm kiss. He tickled me right on my side with his free hand before he darted out and left me laughing in my bathroom.

Oh jeez.

She came into my room, then saw me in the bathroom. "Why are you laughing in here? Weirdo."

"Oh nothing." I smiled.

"All right. Well I want to know what you wanted to do for thanksgiving in advance; invite some people over or something and have dinner?"

"I guarantee people will have things with their families. We don't need to celebrate it anyway. Just order some Chinese takeout I guess."

"Oh, yeah, alright," she smiled and exited my room.

And that is what we did.

I never stopped thinking of Mishu.

Winter break.
It's freezing outside. The normal for North Carolina, but Talmai is always colder than other towns. It sits along the coast.

I threw on my black trench coat and my black boots then headed outside to into the winter air. It was close to sundown and everyone wanted to meet at the best restaurant on the docks, Breeze. It's ran by the father of a guy that's liked Verity for as long as I can remember. He's a rather cute guy, just doesn't go to our school. She always says she's not the dating type, so he's never asked her out. I think they would be amazing together, but I've let that thought go because it's bad to butt in other people's relationships (coming from past experience, I like to think I'm Doctor Phil).

The sunset is so beautiful tonight. I've barely taken sight of it lately with everything going on. I'm a real nature junkie. I know I am such a lucky person to be surrounded by both forest and ocean at the same time. These things calm me, which is a good thing; I won't be strung out all the time.

I walked down the pier and sat on the edge, feet nearly breaking the water surface.

"You okay? Isn't it too cold out here? You seem very lonely," Sage said standing next to me, followed by a chuckle.

"I'm not, don't worry. Let's go," I smiled at her thoughtfulness.

We walked back together and went inside of Breeze.

Jerome walked to us.

"Jerome Smith," I said with a smile.

"Adair Gray, Sage Evans. Fancy seeing you here.. Just kidding, Conall's over there in the booth by the window."

"Thanks," Sage said.

"Oh-- uh, will Verity be joining you guys?" He ran his hand through his

"Oh yeah, lover boy," Sage answered with a wink followed by both of us laughing.

We sat down at the booth.

"Hello, my beautiful ladies."

"Hi Conall," Sage and I said simultaneously, already used to his flirtatious comments.

"So Mishu hasn't talked to any of you lately?" I asked them trying to hide the fact I was worried about him, so they didn't become worried too.

"Nope, haven't seen him either," Conall said chewing on appetizer fries.

The last time I saw Mishu was at the hands of screwed up werewolves. Why the hell did they want him so badly?

Verity entered the restaurant. She wasn't greeted by Jerome like we were, but a regular waitress. Poor guy, always missing his small chances.

"Why did we have to come here, of all places?" Verity came to us wondering.

"Because it's great!" Sage replied.

She gave Sage an unenthused expression. 

"Verity, why don't you date again?" I asked, for her to refresh my memory.

"Boys are just stupid."

"Not all of them," Conall butt in, acting like he was the best guy in the universe.

Verity got up and went to the bar.