What I Left Behind- Chapter 31

Start from the beginning

I could feel the heat rushing through my cheeks, “What boy?” I asked shocked.

“Oh you know what boy I’m talking about. Your mother and I do talk and the fact that my daughter has a boyfriend and didn’t tell me, kind of hurts my feelings.” He said chuckling.

I fought back a laugh, “I’m sorry but there was never the time to with everything.” I said before looking down at my hands.

“He treating my little girl like a princess? He better be or I swear I’ll go to Virginia myself and kick his ass.” He said.

My face fell, “It’s complicated.” I said looking up as we entered a neighborhood filled with extremely large houses.

My Dad’s forehead frowned. Before we could continue the conversation, we pulled up to a house that was covered in all stone. He clicked a button in his Audi and the gates to the long driveway opened. There were several cars parked in it and he went to the back to park his car.

“I’ve sure missed this place.” I whispered to myself so that only I heard my comment.

“Let’s get your things and get you settled in.” My Dad said getting my bags and leading me in the house.

I managed to send a text to Charlie and my mom telling them that I arrived safe. I clicked my phone off and tucked it back in my pocket. I’d check their messages later.

The door opened to the house and I smelt the sweet cinnamon smell all around the house. It was nana’s favorite smell.

We went through the kitchen that was bigger than a classroom at Auburn and passed the living room that took up most of the floor. I went up the marble staircase behind my Dad and he set my things just beside my bed.

“Thanks Dad.” I said.

“No problem sweetie.” He said itching the back of his head.

“Are you ready?” He asked and I already knew what he was referring to.

I looked at him and nodded.

He led me back downstairs, down a hall where there were three doors.

He opened what used to be the guest room and he nodded at me to go in.

“Be strong sweetheart.” He whispered in my ear as I passed him.

I entered the room and heard something like a machine running. Then I saw a big bed with a person sitting up in it with a newspaper in their hands that was covering their face.

I walked closer to her and the newspaper fell.

“Oh my sweetheart! You’ve come!” Nana said with a trembling voice.

Her face was much more pale and thinner. Her hair was a grayish white and her hands were so skinny that they looked easy to break with just a snap.

I fought back the lump in my throat and went down to hug her as softly as I could. I refrained to squeeze her tightly no matter how much I wanted to.

“I’ve missed you darling!” She said in her high-spirited tone.

“I’ve missed you way more than you can imagine.” I said smiling weakly.

She had so many things hooked up to her that it was very overwhelming. She has a tube across her nose, which was there for what I assumed to help her breathe.

“We have a lot to talk about. Greg sweetheart, mind if you leave your daughter and I alone for a bit? We have some girl bonding to do.” She said giving me a wink.