2. shots and the quiet girl

Start from the beginning

"Really, this is a pretty casual party. Just trust me," I reasoned. Mom's weak spot was the words, just trust me. My Dad used them on her all the time. Mostly for when he needed to cover up his affairs.

"Well, make sure you're not out too late. And text me if anything happens. Really, I don't mind waking up in the middle of the night to pick you up if you need it."

I rolled my eyes, because she'd said it so many times now I could quote it. "Yes, Mom."

When my eyes met themselves in the mirror I felt at least a little accomplished. I'd been quiet all week, warranting no dramatic attention to my change of style over the summer. But tonight I was determined to make my debut.

I was never one to receive much direct attention. If I received any, it was me and Monica or me and my family. The feeling was unfamiliar, and that made the idea of receiving it exhilarating, which consequently made me scared. I wasn't here to crave attention. I was here to seek revenge for everything they did last year.

I'd been reluctant to give Jack my address, mostly because the only one who had really been to my house was Monica. My house was secretive, and that was going to change if my plan went accordingly.

He was perfectly on time, the thrumming of his Range Rover was on my street at exactly half past nine. Like most people at Arlington Prep, Jack came from a filthy rich family and his car make and model only amplified that.

He let out a low whistle, and it was then that I noticed the other people in the back seats. They were all recognizable as peers from my classes, all barely resting on level two of the social pyramid.

"Nice outfit, Chloe."

"Thanks," I said, shooting a welcoming smile at Jack as I climbed into the car besides a girl named Claire from my chemistry class.

"Seriously, where did you get your top?"

I was saved from answering when the stereo was turned up too loud for my voice to carry. I hadn't realized Jack had taken up the role of designated driver for so many people, and I was kind of hoping for a more intimate setting where I could get my head straight.

Li Yao threw parties regularly. I saw the pictures on Facebook which would flood my news feed most Saturday mornings. They varied from small gatherings to huge events, catering for hundreds of drunk teenagers at a time. Only, it wasn't quite a tasteless mess, the people invited were all from Arlington or the other private schools in the area. They all had money, and in some aspects it made it worse.

Jack found a park down the road, where we could still hear the music travelling through the humid air. It was barely a few weeks into autumn, and California was taking its time to shake off the summer heat.

As the others slowly trailed in front of me, Claire long given up on making conversation, I tried my best to level my mind. My first order of business wasn't to find William. No, that was for later on in the night. I had some work to do first.

I had information from listening to the whispers around me, from lingering by conversations for a few beats too long and from having a knack for internet stalking. I was also good at being resourceful with information, like making phone calls and acting like I already knew everything, and it led to facts being leaked thoughtlessly, such as those slipping through the lips of a receptionist, exclusive information mindlessly outed without a thought.

There was, for example, a very good chance that Sophie Rutherford was sneaking around with someone. This wouldn't be news, considering that Sophie, Lola's best friend, wasn't exactly shy about her sexual encounters. But that was what made it all the more important. Because, if my observations were correct, she was hiding it.