Chapter 10 Preliminary Rodeo

The next 2 weeks past in a blur. I dropped trick riding so I could practice poles, barrels and bull riding more. Fisher unofficially "dumped" Amy so he spent every second he could with me. It got slightly annoying to have him follow me like a puppy, but he was an amazing boy. My limp got better as I gently began to put weight on it. I had to mount Ash from the opposite side and she was not a doll about it to say the least. 

The Preliminary rodeo was a week before the TFFR (Tequila Farm Finals Rodeo) the top 10 in each event in the Prelim would stay at camp for the Finals. The rest would either go home, or stay to watch the Final. If I passed the Prelim, Mom and Dad were coming to see the Final. Dad couldn't leave the cattle the week of Prilim because Jackson was on vacation. I was thinking about all of this as Fisher and I plodded down the road on Ash and Piglet, Fisher's roping horse. "The Prelim is tomorrow," I said wistfully. Fisher nodded. "Nervous?"

"Naw," I sputtered. "Beat ya back," He said as he kicked Piglet into a gallop. I grinned as Ash ran after them. I was ready, and I wasn't going to be leaving until after the Finals..

                                                                                            ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Indie's outfit- http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=196893012

The barn was a bustling place at 5:00 the next morning. The rodeo was starting at 8:30, but there were already nervous parents helping their kids gear up. Most of the Pee Wee and Junior rodeo parents were there, but there were only a handful of High School Rodeo parents. Ash leaned into the curry comb as I brushed out some dirt she had collected in the pasture.

I took my time checking all my gear and clothes. I had chosen my favorite Ranch Dress'n jeans and Glam and Grit hat. Ash had her back hoof raised and she was dozing off even with all of the horses and people buzzing around the barn.

Within the next two hours, Ash and I both looked amazing. I watched the beautiful, warm sunshine rise over the mountains in the distance as I warmed up in the arena. I hadn't seen Amy all morning, but Fisher had said that she was on the War path. So, I was relived that I hadn't run into her. Pretty soon, the metal stands were full of spectators. Some were parents of the contestants, but most of them were locals who waited to watch this all year.

The announcer asked the riders in the arena to exit so that they could prepare for the roping phase of the rodeo. I walked Ash out of the ring and parked her beside the bleachers to watch. I crossed my legs across the saddle horn and relaxed. Ash was soon dozing off and lifting her back hoof. I had some admirers stop by and rub on Ash. One little girl asked me to sign her hat.

I tried to tell her that I wasn't famous, but I couldn't say no to her bright blue, sparkly eyes. Breakaway roping, team roping and team penning zoomed by. I heard Fisher's name on the speakers and turned my full attention to the chutes. He was entered in Tie Down Roping. I watched as the cow shot out of the chutes with Piglet hot on his tail. Fisher threw the rope and it landed around the calf's neck. Piglet rolled back and started backing up as Fisher jumped off and ran to  the calf.

He flipped it over and tied three of it's legs together. He threw his hands up and the flagger flagged as a signal to turn the timer off. "Go Fish!" I yelled at him. He turned and threw his hat up as the announcer called his time. "8.9 seconds!"  I jumped off Ash as Fisher loped out of the arena. "Great job!" I jumped into his arms. "Thank ya ma'am," he bowed as I released my hug.

I giggled as we led our horses to the concession stand.