Chapter 1- Rodeo School

I woke up to the birds twittering outside of my open window. The sweet late-April breeze tickled my nose. I reached over and lazily pulled my phone out of my hoodie pocket. I scrolled through Facebook and Instagram before sitting up and rolling out of bed. I shuffled my Country music playlist and started dressing.

As soon as I had pulled on some jeans, a belt and my South Carolina High School Rodeo T-shirt, I raced down stairs. Mom was standing over the stove, frying bacon and Dad was drinking his coffee and reading his monthly Rancher  magazine for the 100th time.

I sat down and flipped on the TV. I watched The Cowboy Network as I set the table for breakfast. Soon, Mom, Dad and I were sitting at the table, gobbling down toasts, eggs and bacon. Mom looked at Dad quizzically. I watched them through the corner of my eye.

Dad placed his fork on his empty plate and looked at me. "Indie, Momma and I have decided to send you to Rodeo Camp this summer," He grinned as my jaw fell open and my breakfast came tumbling out. I glanced at Mom who was smiling too. "Seriously?" I asked as I pinched myself. "Yes sir ree," Mom laughed.

"You and Ash are both going," Dad said. I smiled as I thought of my Black Appendix Quarter Horse, Ash.  "I talked to the director and you'll be there for a month and a half," Mom said. "Wow, You guys won't let me walk down the road, but I can go to rodeo camp for that long," I joked. Dad nodded. "We left your activities to be your decision," Mom said.

"What do they have?" I asked. Dad looked at a piece of paper he had brought to the table. "Bronc Riding, Barrel Racing, Pole Bending, Flag and Trick Riding, Tie Down Roping, Goat Tying, Breakaway roping," Dad stopped. "And Uh, um, eh, Bull Riding," He coughed. 

My heart sped up. This could be my chance to prove to Dad that I could be just as good as a son would have been. "Cool," "I'll have to take some time deciding, but I think definitely Flag and Trick riding, and Pole Bending," I smiled at him. I wasn't going to drop a clue. 

Dad relaxed. "There is an end-of-camp Rodeo, too," He said. "This is getting better and better," I thought. "Hon, there is actually two," Mom chirped. "One for the advanced campers and one for the beginners,"  I nodded. "When do I leave?"  "The 12th of May,"