Chapter 27- Sweet tooth

"This is very is very serious," commented North, stroking his long white beard.

Everyone was gathered in the globe room, gold and red lights glittering making the globe look like a massive Christmas decoration. The workshop had taken on a somber note, not even the antics of the elves could lightened the idea that this was real, we were going to war. Though the immortals could not die they could get injured and many of them hated the very idea of violence.

"But he doesn't say where we're going to face him," I pointed out.

Tooth fluttered over, Baby tooth close beside her. "No Natalia 'The Field of Battle' is a real place. It was a place the Man in the Moon chose long ago, where spirits could fight their wars away from mortals. It hasn't been used in centuries, not since the spirits of Justices and Revenge had there last falling out. They're going to marriage counseling now."

"But there's no way Pitch will allow all of our forces get there." Said Aster, painting and egg absent mindedly. It was a comfort thing. "He would get his allies to attack us on the way there. We would be defenseless."

I looked around as everyone scratched their heads or nervously preened their feathers or held their favored weapons close to their chests, like they were crazy. How were these people not getting the obvious? Did non of them read?

"So we split up," I said slowly. "We have most of the spirits on our side, so Pitch can't possibly get all of us. Most will be able to slip through the net and those who don't can help with weakening Pitch on this side."

They all stared like I was an angel sent from above and wonderful in all ways for this genius idea. I don't know why they looked so amazed, all you'd need was some decoys of highly targeted persons with brooms and it would be Harry Potter (thank you J.K).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of the evening was spent preparing for the hardship that were to come. Yetties switched their attention from toys and sweets to armor and weapons. Though Jack protested loudly, armor was made for me. It was a fitted silver chest plate with swirling patterns and gleaming chain mail. I was given a new silver bow and a quiver full of arrows that, I was ashore by North, would never run out.

About three hours before we were to set off Stella pulled me to one side and put a box in my hand.

"What's this?" I asked looking into the box. Inside was a simple band of silver that dipped at the forehead. It looked like the very simple tiaras worn by the other daughters of Manny.

"You are one of us Natalia," she said, giving a rear smile. "You are the true daughter of Manny and we will follow you until the end. You are our sister."

I was speechless, this meant they were excepting me. That they didn't think I was just another mortal. I placed the simple crown on my head and it gleamed.

Sun down was coming quickly and those who had been tasked with the job of weakening Pitch went to spread unlimited joy for a few sweet hours. North called the remaining forces into the globe room.

"Ve shall head off in pears," he announced hurriedly. "Spring and Autumn, Bunny and Tooth, Summer and Lady Luck," his list went on for quite some time until he got to the end, "no one is to use teleportation or snow globes as these can be traced by Pitch. Alright everyone, time to go. And good luck."

Everyone moved to stand next to their partners, Bunny and Tooth even going far enough as to hold hands.

"What happened with them," I asked Jack who was next to me, as North hadn't called either of our names. "Don't they usually keep each other at a distance and pretend they don't have feelings for each other?"

Jack smiled fondly, "things being the way they are Bunny finally admitted to Tooth he's crazy for her."

Aw, I thought, Bunny pulled a Nevil Longbottom. I looked at the two together, finally being completely honest with each other. They weren't used to it yet, you could tell that in the way they held themselves; questioning every little movement, but they seemed more relaxed. Eyes clearer then they had been and slight smiles on their faces no matter how terrible the matter at hand was. It must be so weird transitioning from friends to more than friends, but also so liberating.

"I ship it," I said grinning.

"What?" asked Jack, he obviously had no idea what the hell I meant.

I was just going to start explaining ships (which could have taken hours) when North came over to us. "Now you two I am sending another way to everyone else. Ve do not know if there are spy's in our camp so you vill leave before everyone else, are ve clear?"

We nodded and North turned to leave but hesitated. "Oh Natalia before you go, could you quickly fetch my hat for me. It is in my workshop." I sensed he wanted to talk to Jack without me there.

"Yes sir," I said saluting, turned and went flying up the stairs. I was loving this new power, despite everything.

As I entered, the room was filled with an eerie blue light that was quite unsettling. The hat was on one of the chairs in all its fluffy black beauty. I grabbed it, seeing something on the shelf as I left out of the corner of my eye.

It was a tiny doll no bigger than the span of my hand. North must have gotten Phil to transfer the design from ice to china. Now it had long brown hair, painted pale skin and piercing hazel eyes. Its dress was light, white lace with stitching of spider webs. There was no denying, it was Emma. I still wished to tell Jack, it hurt to lie to him but I had given her my word. And I never go back on a promise.

"I promise," I whispered gathering to the tiny, fragile doll in my hand. "I will find you."

Though the doll could not answer me I felt like she understood. I put her gently in a pocket over my heart in my armor. It was the only safe place where she couldn't get broken. I was going to find her, where ever she was.